Hoghton, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hoghton Holy Trinity was created a chapel of ease by 1781, lying within the boundaries of Leyland, Lancashire Ancient Parish.
Hoghton is a small village and civil parish of the Borough of Chorley in Lancashire, England. According to the United Kingdom Census 2001 it has a population of 867. Hoghton is part of the Brindle and Hoghton ward which also includes the parish of Brindle.
In the village is Hoghton Tower, a fortified manor house and ancestral home of the De Hoghton family since the 12th century.
Also within the parish are the hamlets of Riley Green and Hoghton Bottoms. The villages of Gregson Lane and Coupe Green are sometimes described as in Hoghton, although they are outside the parish, forming the ward of Coupe Green and Gregson Lane in South Ribble district.
The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.
"HOGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of Leyland, union of Chorley, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5½ miles southeast by east or Preston. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity and was erected by 1781, became a district church in 1828."
See also, Feniscowles Chapelry.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
Church of England
Hoghton chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Leyland to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)|
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org|
|LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk|
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|HOGHTON HOLY TRINITY Chapelry (1787) Indexes|
|FS||1786-1851; 1882-1895||None||1825; 1878; 1883|
|LEYLAND ST ANDREW'S(ancient parish containing HOGHTON Chapelry)|
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Hoghton and comprising the whole ancient parish of Leyland to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the LEYLAND ST ANDREW PARISH page.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306912.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 524-527. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51036 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback