Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 129:||Line 129:|
==== Court ====
==== Court ====
==== Land ====
==== Land ====
Revision as of 23:15, 26 November 2010
|This Kentucky-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Hopkins County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 9, 1806|
1829--A disaster destroyed most records.
|Ashbyburg||Fiddle Bow||Manitou||Rabbit Ridge|
|Beulah||Grapevine||Mortons Gap||Saint Charles|
|Brentwood||Hamby||Mount Carmel||Sixth Vein|
|Daniel Boone||Jewel City||Oak Hill||Wesco|
|Dawson Springs||Kirkwood Springs||Olney||West Side Heights|
|Dozier Heights||Little Valley||Oriole||White Plains|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Hopkins County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Hopkins Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Hopkins County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Hopkins County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors
- [Hampton] Corum, Frank. "The Benefit of an Unusual Name: Charles Chester Colson Hampton," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 4, No. 1 (May/June 1995):3-11. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t [Discusses Virginia origin of the Hampton family of Hopkins County, Kentucky.]
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hopkins County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More