Hougham-in-Dover, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hougham in Dover Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish formed in 1844 from part of the Hougham, Kent Ancient Parish.
The Church stood on the Folkestone Road and was demolished for residential development.
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hougham like this:
HOUGHAM, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Dover district, Kent. The village stands near the Southeastern railway, 1 mile from the coast, and 2½ WSW of Dover. The parish contains also the hamlets of Hougham-Court and West Hougham, and the western outskirts of the town of Dover; and is partly within Dover borough. Post town, Dover. Acres, 3, 275; of which 280 are water. Real property, exclusive of the part within Dover borough, £3, 700. Pop. of the whole, in 1851, 2, 639; in 1861, 3, 372.
Houses, 389. The increase of pop. was caused by building operations of a Freehold Land Society, and by the opening of three new brickfields. Pop. of the part within Dover borough, in 1861, 2, 800. Houses, 285. The Heights barracks, the Citadel Engineers' barracks, the Western Heights hospital, the Drop redoubt, the Married Soldiers' quarters, and the Kent Artillery Militia stores are here; and, at the census of 1861, they aggregately had 1, 263 inmates. The property is much subdivided. The chapelry of Christ Church, or of Hougham-in-Dover, is within the parish; was constituted in 1844; and contained 1,803 of the pop. in 1861. The parochial living is a vicarage, and that of Christ Church is a p. curacy, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value of the former, £185; of the latter, not reported.* Patron of the former, the Archbishop of Canterbury; of the latter, Trustees. The parochial church is early English, and has been partially restored. and enlarged. The church of Christ Church is good.—The sub-district contains twelve parishes and an extraparochial tract. Acres, 19, 821. Pop., 8, 242. Houses, 1, 301
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Family History Library film numbers
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records.
| This section requires expansion with:
any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.