How to Find Arkansas Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How to Find United States Birth Records Virginia Births
Statewide registration of births began in 1914 in Arkansas with general compliance by the mid-1930s.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1881
Before 1881, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births from 1881 thru 1914
In 1881, some Arkansas counties and cities, such as Little Rock and Fort Smith, began recording births. If you cannot locate your ancestor in the databases below, try searching for birth information in other records.
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|Arkansas Births, 1880-1893||FamilySearch - Free; incomplete; index only|
|Can't find your ancestor in the index?||Tips for searching indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Record
With approximate birth years and places, you can locate birth records by contacting the appropriate county clerk's office, or on microfilm available through the Family History Library Catalog by searching ARKANSAS [COUNTY] VITAL RECORDS.
Births after 1913
Statewide registration of births began in 1914 in Arkansas. Currently, there are no online indexes to Arkansas births from 1914 to the present.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for persons born within the last 100 years:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate for those born within the last 100 years, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 100 years have passed from the date of the birth.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More