How to Find New Mexico Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How to Find United States Birth Records New Mexico Births
Statewide registration of births began in 1920 in New Mexico with general compliance by 1930.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1907
Before 1907, no births were recorded by the state or county. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births from 1907 thru 1920
In 1907, counties began recording births. Records dating from the 1880s are available for a few counties. If you cannot locate your ancestor in the database below, try searching for birth information in other records.
For births that exist during this time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|New Mexico Births, 1726-1918||FamilySearch - Free; incomplete index, no images|
|Can't find your ancestor in the index?||Tips for searching indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Record
With full names, exact dates and places (from your records or the index above) of an event, you can order a copy of the birth record for a fee from:
Bureau of Vital Records & Health Statistics
1105 St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87505
Births after 1920
Statewide registration of births began in 1920 in New Mexico. Currently, there is no index to New Mexico births after 1920 available online.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for persons born within the last 100 years:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate for those born within the last 100 years, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate (paternal grandparent is eligible if father is listed on the vital record)
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 100 years have passed from the date of the birth.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback