How to Find North Dakota Marriage RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How To Find U.S. Marriage Records How To Find North Dakota Marriage Records
This page is under construction
North Dakota was created in 1889, from Dakota Territory. State wide restration of marriage records began in 1925. You may obtain dopies of marriage records by writing to the division of vital records, or locate the contact information for Clerk of Court or County Recorder.
Finding North Dakota Marriage Records
- Before statewide registration, individual towns or counties issued marriage licenses and recorded marriages. Write to the office of the judge of the county court or the clerk of the district court for these records. In counties with less than 15,000 population, the judge of the county court serves as the clerk of the district court.
- North Dakota state wide registration of marriages began in 1925.
- North Dakota marriage records are not restricted and can be ordered by anyone during any time period
|More marriage information is usually found on the marriage license application or the marriage register. Less information is found on the marriage certificate.|
Next Step: When did the marriage occur?
- Marriage Records
- Choose a time period:
Marriages Before 1889
- Before 1893, no marriages were recorded by the county or state
If you cannot locate your ancestor in the databases below, try searching for marriage information in other records.
|1. Look first in||2. Then search|
| Church Records
Marriages 1899 to 1925
|North Dakota Marriage Database - Includes Index and Digital Images|
|North Dakota Marriages, ---- - ----||
Free; most counties 18-- -1925: Free name index with images online at FamilySearch.
Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
|North Dakota, County Marriages, ---- - ----||
Free; name index with images online at FamilySearch.
|Can't find your ancestor in the online index?||Tips for searching online indexes|
|No marriage record for your ancestor?||
Search for Gretna Greens-- locations away from the home county where marriage laws were less restrictive.
Marriage Records on Microfilm
Some county marriage records may be available on microfilm at your local Family Search Center. If you know the approximate date and county where the marriage took place, use the Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) to see what is available.
Marriages 1925 to Present
Marriage licenses may be found in the county records where the marriage occurred.
STEP ONE: Find Marriage Information
- Copies may be ordered from the North Dakota county clerk.
- Copies may be ordered from the North Dakota Department of Public Vital Records.
|To Order Marriage Certificates|
|From County where Marriage occurred||From ND Dept. of Health Vital Records|
|May be less expensive and faster than ordering from the state||County websites can be more difficult to use||Offers a search of the state index for an additional fee||May be more expensive than ordering from the county|
|When ordering North Dakota marriage records:|
Ask for the marriage license or the marriage register, not the marriage certificate. The license or register usually contains more information.
- North Dakota
- North Dakota Online Records
- North Dakota Vital Records
- Learn more about U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. birth records
- How to find U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. death records
- United States Record Selection Table
- United States, How to Use Marriage Records
- United States Marriage Records
- United States Vital Records
- U.S. Vital Records Overview
- Locating United States Vital Records
American Indian Agency Records.
Guide to Public Vital Statistics Records in North Dakota. By the North Dakota Historical Records Survey, Division of Community Service Programs, Work Projects Administration. FHL Book 978.4 V23h. FHL film 1,036,526 item 3