How to Find Oklahoma Marriage RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How To Find U.S. Marriage Records How To Find Oklahoma Marriage Records
Oklahoma became a state in 1907. Prior to statehood it was Indian Territory from the 1830's to 1890. In 1890 Oklahoma was divided into two Territories (Twin Territories) Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory.
In 1890 three Judicial Districts were established where marriages could be performed and recorded:
- First District: at Muskogee included Cherokee and Creek Nations
- Second District: at South McAlester included Choctaw Nation,
- Third District: at Ardmore included Seminole and Chickasaw Nations
Prior to statehood non-Indians traveled to another state, went back home to marry or were married by a minister or ranking officer at nearby fort.
Marriages performed in Oklahoma Territory were recorded in County Clerk's office.
Finding Oklahoma Marriage Records
- 1908 Oklahoma laws required counties to record marriages
- Marriage records kept by the county clerk
|More marriage information is usually found on the marriage license application or the marriage register. Less information is found on the marriage certificate.|
Next Step: When did the marriage occur?
Marriages Before 1890
- Before 1890, no marriages were recorded by the county or state
- 1830's to 1889 very few records exist, some recorded in district courts
If you cannot locate your ancestor in the databases below, try searching for marriage information in other records.
|1. Look first in||2. Then search|
| Church Records
Marriages 1890 to 1907
|Oklahoma Marriage Database - Includes Index and Digital Images|
|Oklahoma, County Marriages, 1891-1959||
Free; name index with images online at FamilySearch.
|1681007 Oklahoma, Marriages, 1870-1930||
Free; name index. Due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed.
|Can't find your ancestor in the online index?||Tips for searching online indexes|
|No marriage record for your ancestor?||
Search for Gretna Greens-- locations away from the home county where marriage laws were less restrictive.
Marriage Records on Microfilm
Some county marriage records may be available on microfilm at your local Family Search Center. If you know the approximate date and county where the marriage took place, use the Family History Library Catalog (FHLC) to see what is available.
Marriages 1907 to Present
Marriage licenses may be found in the county records where the marriage occurred.
STEP ONE: Find Marriage Information
- Copies may be ordered from the county clerk of court in county were license was issued.
- Copies may be ordered from the Oklahoma Department of Health.
|To Order Marriage Certificates|
|From County where Marriage occurred||From OK State Department of Health|
|May be less expensive and faster than ordering from the state||County websites can be more difficult to use||Offers a search of the state index for an additional fee||May be more expensive than ordering from the county|
|When ordering Oklahoma marriage records:|
Ask for the marriage license or the marriage register, not the marriage certificate. The license or register usually contains more information.
American Indian Marriage Records
Prior to 1907, when Oklahoma became a state, if either the bride or groom were citizens of an American India tribe the marriage records may be included in the Five Civilized Tribe records or the Agency records of their respective tribe.
Marriages for Tahlequah, Sequoyah and Illinois Districts, 1839-1910 FHL films 1666207 item 5 Film 1666237 item 7
Marriages for Going Snake District, 1880-1898 FHL film 1666332
Marriages for Flint District, 1874-1896 FHL film 1666331 item 3 and item 8
Marriage records for Tahlelquah District 1892-1897 FHL film 1666341 item 12
Marriage records for Saline District 1868-1894 FHL film 1666337 items 1 and 2
Marriage records for Illinois District, 1868-1898 FHL film 1666334 items 1 and 2
Marriage records for Cooweescoowee District, 1867-1998 FHL film 1666317
- Oklahoma Online Genealogical Records
- Oklahoma Vital Records
- Oklahoma Vital Records Index
- Oklahoma Vital Records Historical
- Learn more about U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. birth records
- How to find U.S. marriage records
- How to find U.S. death records
- United States Record Selection Table
- United States, How to Use Marriage Records
- United States Marriage Records
- United States Vital Records
- U.S. Vital Records Overview
- Locating United States Vital Records
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More