How to Find South Carolina Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
How to Find United States Birth Records South Carolina Births
Statewide registration of births began in 1915 in South Carolina.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1915
Before 1915, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births after 1915
In 1915, statewide registration of births began in South Carolina. Currently, no complete index of births from 1915 to the present is available online.
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|South Carolina Births, 1846-1935||FamilySearch - Free; incomplete; index only|
|Can't find your ancestor in the index?||Tips for searching indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for ordering South Carolina birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- The person on the certificate (if you are at least 18 years old)
- The parent of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- If the person is deceased
- Immediate family members who supply an original certified copy of the person's death record
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback