Hungary Names PersonalEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Surname (or a family name) is used first, followed by the given name
|NAGY János||John Nagy|
|KOVÁCS Mária||Mary Smith|
- there is usually just one given name
- surnames are generally a single names
- patronymics were usually not used
This rule is also followed in Hungarian parish registers.
Surnames were usually derived from common sources such as trades, qualities, ethnic origins, place names etc.
|SZABÓ Ferenc||Frank Taylor|
|MOLNÁR Lajos||Louis Miller|
|KIS Mihály||Michael Little|
|FEHÉR Erzsébet||Elizabeth White|
|TÖRÖK Katalin||Catherine Turk|
Titles of nobility are put before the surnames
|gróf NAGY János||Count John Nagy|
The equivalent of Mrs. is the particle né (wife) which is added to a husband's name.
|NAGY Jánosné||Mrs. John Nagy|
- names of Hungarian married women take on special forms.
- Klausenberger Ignáczné Bival Rosália means that Rosália Bival married a man named Ignácz Klausenberger.
- the -né means wife of.