Huntly Town Cemetery, Aberdeenshire, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Huntly Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
During the summer of 2008, the Gordon Branch Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints completed a community service project in the Huntly Muncipal Cemetery. The members transcribed approximately 2500 epitaphs (Huntly Cemetery Project, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Part One)(Huntly Cemetery Project, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, Part Two), some of which being difficult to read because of the severe wear on many of the tombstones. Information was further verified by comparing records at the County Record Office in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. The County Record Office ledgers also provided details on who purchased the lairs (plots) and who was buried in the unmarked pauper graves. This project was a follow-up from the previous year when church members transcribed the epitaphs from the newer extended section of the Huntly Cemetery(The addition to the Huntly Cemetery). The 2008 project was focused on the older original section of the cemetery that had dates from the late 1700s. The information compiled from the older and extended Huntly Cemetery gives valuable data for approximatley 15,000 people. These records can be located at in the Family History Library, Salt Lake City (call number CD-ROM 941.25/H1 v3), the Huntly Library, Huntly, Aberdeenshire and the Aberdeenshire Genealogical Society, Aberdeenshire.
The Huntlly Cemetery was first used in the 1880's, even though the Dunbennan Kirkyard continued to be used by families with burial plots there. (An inventory of the older Dunbennan Kirkyard, compiled by Patrick Scott is available as a book, a copy of which can be found in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, call number 941.25/H1 V3.) The first (original) section of the Huntly Cemetery was filled and then an extension was added in the late 1930's. A third section across the street from the original cemetery was placed in use in 1997. The headstones from the third recent section have not been transcribed.