Illinois, Cook County, Obituaries (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
The collection consists of an index and images of obituaries from various newspapers in southern Cook County, Illinois, compiled by the South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society in South Holland, Illinois. The collection also contains obituaries from Hammond, Indiana. The collection covers the years 1970 to 1990.
For a list of records currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Name of deceased
- Birth date and place
- Death date and place
- Names of parents
- Name of spouse
- Names of children
- Name of cemetery
- Name of newspaper
- Date of obituary publication
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know your ancestor’s name and other identifying information such as:
- The approximate death date
- The person’s last known residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection:
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select the "Surname Range" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
Using the Information
Once you have located your ancestor’s obituary, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These records are often brief so it can be easy to confuse individuals. Compare what information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the obituary for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative’s names to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Illinois, Cook County, Obituaries, ca. 1970-1990" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society, South Holland, Illinois
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Illinois, Cook County, Obituaries, ca. 1970-1990
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More