Indiana For Further ReadingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 15:45, 29 December 2011 by Morontina23
These handbooks will give more detailed information about research and records of Indiana:
- Beatty, John D. Research in Indiana. Arlington, Va.: National Genealogical Society, 1992. (FHL book 977.2 A1 no.255.) This contains helpful information about the major types of records in Indiana.
- Carty, Mickey Dimon. Searching in Indiana: A Reference Guide to Public and Private Records. Costa Mesa, Calif.: ISC Publications, 1985. (FHL book 977.2 D23c.) This book provides county-by-county information on schools, libraries, cemeteries, newspapers, recorders, clerks, adoption agencies, and professional researchers.
- Eichholz, Alice, ed. Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. 3rd ed. Provo, Utah: Ancestry, 2004. (FHL Collection Book 973 D27rb 2004.) WorldCat entry. Contains bibliographies and background information on history and ethnic groups. Also contains maps and tables showing when each county was created.
- Harter, Stuart. Indiana Genealogy and Local History Sources Index. Ft. Wayne, Ind.: Stuart Harter, 1985. (FHL book 977.2 D23h.) This important source lists nearly 7,000 books, microfilms, and articles about Indiana. Sources for the state and all of the counties are mentioned. This is primarily a description of sources at the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, but sources at other locations are also mentioned.
- Indiana Source Book: Genealogical Material from the Hoosier Genealogist. 8 vols. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society, 1977–1982. (FHL book 977.2 D29h.) This contains reprints of church, vital, probate, and other records from The Hoosier Genealogist magazine. Volumes 4-7 each have an every-name index. A cumulative index of 175,000 names from volumes 1–3 is:
- Index, Indiana Source Books. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society, 1983. (FHL book 977.2 D29h index.) This lists name, volume, and page number.
- Miller, Carolynne L. (Wendel). Indiana Sources for Genealogical Research in the Indiana State Library. Indianapolis: Genealogical Section, Indiana Historical Society, 1984. (FHL book 977.2 D23mc.) This is a guide to Indiana state and county sources. It lists specific books and microfilmed records for the state and each county. Books are about vital, church, probate, land, cemetery, census, court, and tax records.
- Miller, Carolynne L. Aids for Genealogical Searching in Indiana: A Bibliography. Detroit: Detroit Society for Genealogical Research, 1970. (FHL book 977.2 D23m.) This book has bibliographies of published sources for the state and each county. Topics include histories, probate, vital, and land records.
- Newhard, Malinda E. E. A Guide to Genealogical Records in Indiana. Harlan, Ind.: M. Newhard, 1979. (FHL book 977.2 D27n.) This gives information about major sources and has lists of local libraries and genealogical and historical societies.
- Robinson, Mona. Who’s Your Hoosier Ancestor?: Genealogy For Beginners. Bloomington and Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1992. (FHL book 977.2 D27r.) This book contains chapters about the Indians of Indiana, migration trails, church records, and most of the other types of records.
- Schweitzer, George K. Indiana Genealogical Research. Knoxville, Tenn.: G. K. Schweitzer, 1996. (FHL book 977.2 D27s.) This has information about sources at both state and county levels. It explains the types of records at the state and county levels, and where they are located.
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback