Indians of ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Arkansas tribes were removed to Oklahoma early in the 1830s.
Tribes and Bands of Arkansas
The following list of tribes is compiled from:
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico.Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethnology. Bulletin #30 1907. (Family History Library film 1320577 item1.)
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America.Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145.
Caddo, Cahinnio, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Illinois, Kaskinampo, Michigamea, Mosopelea, Ofo, Osage, Quapaw, Seneca, Seminole, Shawnee, Tunica, Tunica-Karoa, Yazoo
The Caddo Indians were farmers, ceded land and removed to Texas then removed to Indian Territory-Oklahoma
- As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, there are no current federally-recognized reservations in Arkansas.
Family History Library
For a complete list of available records use the Family History Library Catalog search..by Tribe, and Location
- Chickamauga Cherokee Tribal Enrollment. (6 Family History Library films starting with 1597951
- Southern Superintendency of Indian Affairs 1832-1970. (22 films Family History Library films beginning with 1602871.)
- Arkansas Superintendency 1824-1834. The Family History Library has no records at this time
Arkansas-History for a calendar of events