Indians of ConnecticutEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The word Connecticut comes from the Indian word Quinnehtukqut meaning "beside the long tidal river"
Tribes and Bands of Connecticut
The following list of tribes is compiled from:
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C. Smithsonian Institution. Bureau of Ethnology. Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America.Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145.
Hammonassetts, Mahican, Mohegan, Nehanticks, Narraganset, Niantic, Nipmuc, Nipnet or Nipmucks, Paugussett, Pequannock, Pequot, Podunk, Ponus, Quiripeys or Quinnipiac, Sachem, Schaghticoke, Sachemdom or Montewese, Wangum, Wongunk, Wappinger, Wasc-ssux, Wepawaugs, Winnipiacs
Eastern Pequot -- The Connecticut State Library has some records for this tribe, 1836-1995. Their collection includes some genealogies.
Western Pequot -- The Connecticut State Library has some records for this tribe, 1836-1995. Their collection includes some genealogies.
New England Confederation: Paugussett, Naugatucks, Pootatuck, Wepawaug and Pequannock
- Corun Hill Reservation (1680 in Huntington)
- Eastern Pequot Reservation
- Golden Hill Reservation (1650's near Statford)
- Mashantucker Reservation (State, 1667 for Western Pequot's)
- Mohegan Indian Reservation
- Paucatuch Reservation (Eastern Pequot)
- Pequot Reservation (State, Tribes: Pequot and Mohegan in Fairfield and New London Counties)
- Schaghticoke Reservation (near Kent)
- Turkey Hill Reservation (1674)
- Isaacs, Katherine M., Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America, U.S. Data Sourcebook Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations Appendix E, Indian reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991,
Leaping Deer (1979)
Family History Library
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News