Indians of GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tribes and Bands of Georgia
The following list of American Indians who have lived in Washington has been compiled from Hodge's Handbook of American Indians... and from Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America. Some may simply be variant spellings for the same tribe.
Apalachee, Apalachicola, Catawba, Chatot, Cherokee, Chiaha, Chickasaw, Creek, Guale, Hitchiti, Kasihta, Oconee, Okmulgee, Osochi, Sawokli, Shawnee, Tamathli, Timucua, Yamasee, Yuchi
Reservations were established with westward expansion as settlement occured. Tribes ceded land and were removed to restricted and reserved land.
Georgia Tribe of Eastern Cherokee
Tama Tribal Town
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
Family History Library
For a complete list of available study the Family History Library Catalog search by Tribe and Locality
- Office of Indian Trade 1795-1821 13 films - M1334 Film Family History Library 1st microfilm 1605523
- Office of Indian Affairs, Superintendent of Indian Trade. Letter book of the Creek trading house. 1795-1816, Family History Library film 1024433.
Georgia-History for a calendar of events
Georgia-Military for a list of forts
- ↑ Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- ↑ Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News