Indians of Kentucky
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Tribes recognized by state)
|Line 20:||Line 20:|
== See Also: ==
== See Also: ==
Revision as of 18:05, 6 December 2011
To learn how to get started with American Indian research, find research facilities, and American Indian websites click here.
See Indians of the United States and Their Records for suggestions on how to research American Indian ancestry. If you are searching for American Indians in Kentucky, search the same types of records used to research non-Indians. You may want to see:
- McConnell, Michael Norman. A Country Between: The Upper Ohio Valley and Its Peoples, 1724–1774. Lincoln, Nebraska: University of Nebraska Press, 1992. (Family History Library book 970.1 M134c). This book contains a comprehensive history of Indians in the upper Ohio Valley, including the states of Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania. In addition, this source contains biographies of prominent Kentucky Indians and a bibliography of sources.
Tribes and Bands of Kentucky
The following list of American Indians who have lived in Kentucky has been compiled from Hodge's Handbook of American Indians... and from Swanton's The Indian Tribes of North America. Some may simply be variant spellings for the same tribe.
Tribes Recognized by the sSate of Kentucky
Southern Cherokee Nation of Kentucky
- Kentucky-History for a calendar of events
- Kentucky-Military for a list of forts
- Melungeons a "tri-racial" group of Indian, and possibly Portuguese, and possibly African mix.
Family History Library
For additional sources on specific tribes, use the Subject Search of the Family History Library Catalog under the name of the tribe. For example:
Other sources are listed in the Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
KENTUCKY- NATIVE RACES
- ↑ Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- ↑ Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Gilbert, William Harlen, Jr. Surviving Indian Groups in the Eastern United States. Pp. 407-438 of the Smithsonian Report for 1948. Available online.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More