Indians of MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following list of tribes in Maine is compiled from:
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institutuion, Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution Bureau of Ethnology, Bulletin #145
Tribes and Bands of Maine
Abnaki, Anasaguntacooks, Etechemin, Kennebec, Malecite, Maliseet, Miconac, Micmac, Norridgewock, Passamaquoddy, Penobscot, Pennacook
- Aroostook Band of Micmac Indians
- Houlton Band of Malecite (Maliseet): State, Tribe: Malecite
- Indian Township Reservation: State, Tribe: Passamaqoddy
- Passamaquoddy Reservation: State, Tribe: Passamaquody
- Penobscot Reservation: State, Tribe: Penobscot
- Pleasant Point Reservation: State, Tribe Passamaquody
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E. Indian Reservations, Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
Agencies of the Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Maine State Archives, State house Station 64, Augusta, ME 04333
Family History Library
- Catholic Indian Mission records
Maine-History for a calendar of events
Maine-Military for a list of forts
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More