Indians of New YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tribes and Bands of New York
Allegany, Algonquin, Cattaraugus, Cayuga, Delaware or Lenni Lenape, Erie, Esopus, Iroquois, Mahican, Mohawk, Mohegan, Montauk, Munsee, Neutral, Oneida, Onondaga, Poospatuck, Saponi, Seneca, Shinnecock, Susquehanna, Tonawanda, Tuscarora, Tutelo, Wappinger, Wenrohronon
Five Nations: Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca
Six Indian Nations: Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, Seneca and Tuscarora
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonolgy, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian tribes of North America. ( http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145.
- Akwesasne Reservation:
- Allegany Reservation: State, under jurisdiction _______ Tribe: Seneca
- Buffalo Creek Reservation:
- Cattaraugus Reservation: State, under jurisdiction of ______ Office Tribe: Seneca
- Cayuga Nation: under jurisdiction of New York Liaison Office, Tribe: ______
- Erie Reservation:
- Oil Springs Reservation:
- Oneida Nation:
- Onondaga Reservation:
- Poospatuck Reservation: , , Tribe: Poospatuck
- Seneca Nation: State, under jurisdiction of New York Liaison Office, Tribe: Seneca
- Shinnecock Reservation: State, under jurisdiction of ______ Tribe: Shinnecock
- St. Regis Mohawk Reservation: , under jurisdiction of New York Liaison Office, Tribe: _____
- Tonawanda Reservation: ,under jurisdiction of New York Liaison Office, Tribe: Tonawanda Band of Seneca
- Tuscarora Nation: , under jurisdiction of New York Liaison Office, Tribe:______
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- New York Liason Office, Federal Bldg., 100 S. Clinton St., Syracuse, NY 13202
- New York Agency 1829-1880
- Seneca Agency 1824-1832
- Six Nations Agency 1824-1834
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
Family History Library
Records of American Indians in New York are listed in the Family History Library Catalog Place Search under NEW YORK - NATIVE RACES and in the Subject Search under the name of the tribe or language group, such as IROQUOIS and ALGONQUIAN. Additional records are listed in the Subject Search under INDIANS OF NORTH AMERICA - NEW YORK.
- Duke University Oral History Collection 8 films Family History Library 1st film 1486555 fiche 6052870
- Census films 1885-1924 Family History Library films 579700-579710
- Holland Company Records 1790-1800 (Buffalo and Erie Counties) 23 films Family History Library 1st film 1549981
- Cattaraugus Reservation-Vital Records 1883-1940. Family History Library film 962208 item 7
New York- History for a calendar of events
New York -Military for a list of forts
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback