Indians of South CarolinaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Tribes and Bands of South Carolina
Algnkian, Beaver Creek, Catawba, Cherqwas, Cheraw, Cherokee, Chiaha, Chickasaw, Chicora, Congaree, Coosa, Creek, Croatan, Cusabo, Eno, Edisto, Eutaw or Etiwan, Iroquoi, Keyauwee, Natchez, Pee Dee, Pocotaligo, Saluda, Santee, Savano, Sengkaw, Seewee, Shakori, Shawnee, Siouan, Sissipahaw, Sugaree, Waccamaw, Wassamasaw, Wateree, Waxhaw, Westo, Weenee, Winyaw, Yamasee, Yuchi
Cherokee - Iroquaian, Siouan, Muskhogean and Algonquain
Cherokee Bear Clan, Chalokolowa-Chickasaw, Sumter Band of Cheraw
- Hodge, Frederick Webb.Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907. (Family History Library film 1320577 item 1).
- Swanton, John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. (http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145. (Family History Library book 970.1 S24i).
- Catawba Reservation , State, Tribe: Catawba
- Isaacs, Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservcations, Appendix E. Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics. Inc., 1991.
Family History Library
The Family History Library has some published documents and histories of Indians who lived in South Carolina in the colonial era. The Catawba, Old Cheraws, Cherokee, and other Indian nations are chronicled in Chapman J. Milling, Red Carolinians (Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolina Press, 1940; Family History Library book 975.7 F2m; film 1425645 item 5).
South Carolina - Church Records for a list of missions
South Carolina - Military Records for a list of forts
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices, Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E, Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
- National Atlas of the United States of America -- Federal Lands and Indian Reservations Available online.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.