Indians of WyomingEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Wyoming is a Delaware Indian word meaning 'mountains and valley alternating".
Tribes and Bands of Wyoming
Arapaho, Bannock, Cheyenne, Comanche, Crows, Cree, Dakota, Gros Venutreno or Chumashan, Gosiute, Kiowa, Kiowa-Apache, Menominee, Numa, Paiute, Pawnee, Shoshoni, Sioux, Ute (Southern)
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.;Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of Ethonology, Bulletin #30 1907.
- Swanton, John R. The Indian tribes of North America (http://www.accessgenealogy.com ) Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology Bulletin #145.
As identified in the National Atlas of the United States of America, the following reservation names in bold are current federally-recognized reservations:
Wind River Reservation -- Federal, under juridiction of Wind River Agency; Tribes: Shoshoni and Arapaho
- Isaacs. Katherine M., editor. Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America. U.S. Data Sourcebook, Volume 11 Appendices. Bureau of Indian Affairs List of American Indian Reservations, Appendix E. Indian Reservations. Omnigraphics, Inc., 1991.
Red Cloud Agency -- was an agency for the Oglala Sioux in what was then Wyoming Territory. It was located about 1 mile west of what is now Henry, Nebraska, and was never in what became the state of Wyoming.
Wind River Agency, Ft. Washakie, WY, 82514
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. Clearwater Publishing Co., Inc., 1974.
Wyoming_History for a calendar of events
Wyoming_Military Records for a list of forts
Family History Library
The Family History Library has copies of the Wind River Agency files of Wyoming for the years 1881 to 1953. These are detailed records kept by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. The original records are at the National Archives—Rocky Mountain Region (Denver) at http://www.archives.gov/rocky-mountain/. Other American Indian records are listed in the subject section of the Family History Library Catalog under the names of the tribes, such as SHOSHONI INDIANS.
- Wyoming Superintendency 13 films Family History Library 1st film 1549631