Iowa Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These collections often contain birth, marriage, and death information, as well as family histories. You may wish to write to these organizations for help in your search. Sometimes their collections must be searched in person.
Collections and Indexes
See the Biography, History, and Societies pages for important sources containing biographical and genealogical information. For example, the State Historical Society in Des Moines has over 8,000 family genealogies.
- Access Genealogy has many links with a wide variety of information.
- Epodunk has information about all of Iowa's counties.
- Genealogy Today is a directory with many sources in Iowa.
- Iowa Genealogy lists some cemeteries, histories, census records and much more.
- Iowa Genealogy links to record sources online organized by county and record type
- Iowa Genealogy ($) (Access Genealogy)
- Iowa Genealogy (Genealogy Inc)
- Iowa Genealogy (Linkpendium)
- IAGenWeb The IAGenWeb has many projects to help with research, such as:
- Linkpendium is a site with links to infomation for the counties of Iowa.
- Rootsweb has links county websites, projects, societies and much more.
- Rootsweb message boards.
- Rootsweb resource page, connects you to city and town information.
- Rootsweb United states Iowa resource page has many different links pertaining to Iowa.
- Volunteers generously give help with their offline Iowa resources.
- Ancestry Iowa research site.
- Fold 3 Iowa research site
- Godfrey Memorial Library
- Heritage Quest/ProQuest
- World Vital Records Iowa research site
- These sites are provided as a service in 1,450 family history centers in through-out North America. Patrons should contact their local Family History Center to see if this service is available.
Family History Library
The Family History Library also has excellent statewide collections, including the following:
- The Iowa Genealogical Society Surname Index  A digital volume of volume 5 is available from the FHL Catalog entry. These indexes sometimes have names of ancestors back to the 1600s. They list genealogical information for more than 100,000 ancestors of members of the Iowa Genealogical Society.
- Surname Collection  This index of 3" x 5" cards gives information about ancestors of Iowa Genealogical Society members, sometimes back to the 1600s.
- Surname Index, 1500–1991  The Iowa Genealogical Society has this collection. These cards are similar to the ones in the collection mentioned above.
- Pioneer Certificates, 1800s–1991  This collection includes pedigree charts, family group forms, wills, marriage records, family histories, and land records. The information is arranged alphabetically.
- Bible Records 1947-1948 
- Genealogical Collection  For information about this extensive collection, including film numbers and a partial index to it, see the "Bible Records" page.
- Iowa Pioneer Families  This publication contains eight volumes prepared in the 1940s and 1950s.
- Family Record Collection  This alphabetical collection contains extensive genealogies, pedigrees, and family histories.
- Century Farm Applications  This work contains applications from the owners of farms whose property had remained within the family for 100 years or longer. These records are arranged by county and then alphabetically by the name of the applicant. The names of previous owners, their relationship to the present owner, and a history of the family now owning the farm are usually given. The original documents are at the State Historical Society in Des Moines.
- Fifty Year Iowa Farm Families  This work contains lists of owners of farms whose property had remained within the family for 50 years or longer. These records are arranged by county and list the name of the owner, the city or town where the farm was located and the year of purchase.
- Essay Contest, 1923  This is a collection of essays by high school students about their grandparents, old settlers, or their community. It includes an index to ancestors and an index by town and county.
- Unpublished Genealogies in the Iowa Historical Library  This book was prepared in 1968 and is a list of genealogies. It gives the surname of the family, the name of the compiler, the date compiled and the number of pages.
- Charts and Genealogies of Pioneer Families of Iowa  These records are in alphabetical order and were compiled by Mrs. F. A. Gordon. They contain genealogies from the mid 1700s to 1939.
Genealogy sources are listed in the Place Search The Family History Library Catalog under:
- IOWA - GENEALOGY
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY
- IOWA, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - GENEALOGY
- IOWA - GENEALOGY
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also:
- ↑ The Iowa Genealogical Society Surname Index 5 vols. Des Moines, Iowa: Iowa Genealogical Society, 1973–90. FHL book 977.7 D2i
- ↑ Iowa Genealogical Society (Des Moines, Iowa). Surname Collection. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987. FHL film 1487493 (first film of 31)
- ↑ 'Surname Index, 1500–1991. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1991. FHL film 1766048 (first film of 8))
- ↑ Iowa Genealogical Society (Des Moines, Iowa) Pioneer Certificates, 1800s–1991. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1987. FHL films 1508882 (first film of 14)
- ↑ Daughters of the American Revolution -Iowa. Bible Records 1947-1948. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. FHL film 851218 item 6.
- ↑ Genealogical Collection . Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971.
- ↑ Iowa Pioneer Families. Daughters of the American Revolution (Iowa). Iowa Pioneer Families. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1971. FHL films 851218 items 3–5, 7–9, and film 851219 items 1–2.
- ↑ Family Record Collection. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. FHL film 1023611 item 11(first film of 8)
- ↑ Iowa American Revolution Bicentennial Commission. Century Farm Applications. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. FHL films 1023895–902.
- ↑ Iowa. State Department of History and Archives Fifty Year Iowa Farm Families Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1978. FHL films 1023893–94
- ↑ State Historical Society (Iowa City, Iowa). Essay Contest, 1923 Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library FHL films 986175–82
- ↑ Gilman, Aloys. Unpublished Genealogies in the Iowa Historical Library: Manuscript, Typed or Carbon Copies. N.p., 19--. ((FHL|166607|item|FHL book 977.7 A3ga; fiche 6046633.}}
- ↑ Charts and Genealogies of Pioneer Families of Iowa. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1975. FHL film 908960 item 4
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More