Ireland Genealogy WebsitesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The following is a listing of many Ireland websites useful for family history and genealogy research. It is arranged by record type and information.
Archives and Libraries
- Clare County Library hosts the best county collection of online Irish family history.
- Limerick City Archives Digital Collections
- National Archives of Ireland holds manuscript and microfilm collections & is working to digitize and index the 1901 & 1911 census.
- Ulster Historical Foundation Contains a lot of useful information and the ability to do a free search on a surname and/or given name. There are more than two million entries in the various databases. A search for the surname Dobb provides reference to 448 sources where the name appears.
- Presbyterian Historical Society of Ireland Formed in 1907, it was made up of the three churches which held the Presbyterian Order in Ireland - the Presbyterian Church in Ireland, the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland and the Reformed Presbyterian Church of Ireland - with the object of promoting the knowledge of, and advance public education in, the history of the churches of the Presbyterian Order in Ireland by various means, including the collection and preservation of historic materials and records of these churches.
- Waterford County Library contains online resources such as death registers 1864-1901, grave memorials, and trade directories from 1824-1910.
Cemeteries & Burials
- www.from-ireland.net- Ireland Gravestone Database
- www.rootsireland.ie- Gravestone inscriptions
- www.historicgraves.com - Ireland Graves, photos and inscriptions
Census and Census Substitutes
- The 1901 and 1911 census are indexed online at the national archives of Ireland.
- wiki.familysearch.org- Information on Irish census records, surviving census fragments, and census substitutes. The Family History Library has some surviving census fragments from 1821-1851.
- www.rootsireland.ie- Fragments as early as 1821
- www.ancestry.com- Fragments of the 1841 & 1851 Censuses for the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.
- www.irishorigins.com- Dublin City census 1851, 1901; Census of Elphin 1749; Irish 'strays' in England & Wales Census 1841, 1871.
- www.rootsireland.ie holds an online index to Irish parish registers from nineteen counties.
- www.irishgenealogy.ie- Includesd searchable church records for Dublin City and for the counties of Carlow, Cork and Kerry. Inlcudes Catholic, Anglican, and and some Presbyterian church records. Images are available free online.
- www.familysearch.org Indexes to births/baptisms, 1620-1881; marriages 1619-1898; (Most of the church records do not go into the 1600s-1700s); also includes microfilm copies of church records at the Family History Library.
- www.Ireland.anglican.org (Representative Church Body Library) holdings of the Church of Ireland church records.
- www.proni.gov.uk (Public Record Office of Northern Ireland) has copies of the Church of Ireland church records from the Representative Church Body Library.
- www.nli.ie (National Library of Ireland) holdings of the Catholic Church Records on microfilm
- www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse- Provides information and links to surviving Irish church records. 
- www.cyndislist.com- Links to other websites containing Irish births, marriages, and deaths.
- www.familysearch.org Indexes to Ireland Civil Registration 1845-1958
- wiki.familysearch.org (Ireland Civil Registration)- Guide to birth, marriage, and death certificates in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Also shows what certificates are available at the Family History Library.
- www.groireland.ie- General Registrar's Office (GRO) for the Republic of Ireland (where original certificates are kept)
- www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro- Gneerarl Registrar's Office (GRO) for Northern Ireland (where originial certificates are kept)
- www.familysearch.org- Irleand Prison Registers, 1790-1924
- www.findmypast.ie- Petty Sessions & Prison Registers
- www.census-online.com/links/Ireland- County links to various Irish directories
- www.proni.gov.uk- Belfast & Northern Ireland street directories, 1819-1900.
- www.Irishorigins.com ($) Includes Dublin Directories and Directories of Ireland.
Emigration Records /Passenger Lists
- Boston Pilot Search for Missing Friends 1831-1920
- Ancestry.com (includes Filby's Passenger & Immigration Lists Index and indexes to incoming passenger lists for most U.S. ports; also includes incoming passenger lists, passenger lists for those returning to visit Ireland from 1878-1960, passport applications, naturalization records, border crossing records, ship pictures and descritptions, etc.
- aad.archives.gov- Ireland Famine Emigrants Online (1846-1851)
- www.cimorelli.com/ireland/irishpass.htm- Irish Immigrants Database
- www.johngrenham.com- Ireland passengers lists separated from the Immigrants Transcriber's Guild.
- www.findmypast.co.uk- Passengers lists of those leaving the British Isles from 1890-1960
- www.ancestorsonboard.com- Passengers lists of those leaving the British Isles from 1890-1960
- www.rootsireland.ie- Ireland Passenger Lists (1791-1897)
- www.irishorigins.com- Passenger lists (1890 & 1891); Transatlantic migration (1858-1870
- www.immigrantships.net- 13 volumes of passenger lists from all over the world
- www.ellisisland.org- New York passenger lists from 1892-1956
- www.castlegarden.org- New York passenger lists pre Ellis Island
- www.familysearch.org- Ireland Tithe Applotment Books, 1814-1855. Includes heads of households who owned or rented land that was subject to the tithe.
- www.ancestry.com- Ireland Tithe Applotment Books, 1823-1837. Includes heads of households who owned or rented land that was subject to the tithe.
- www.askaboutireland.ie- Griffiths Primary Valuation, 1848-1864. Includes heads of households who owned or rented land or a house.
Maps, Gazetteers, and Placenames
- www.seanruad.com- is an online version of the index to townlands compiled from the 1851 census.
- maps.osi.ie/publicviewer Irish historic maps. Ireland's most comprehensive archive of maps from 1829 to 1913. A small fee is required to use the online maps.
- gis.epa.ie Environmental maps. Very nice maps although it will take several clicks to get to the greatest detail.
- 1838 Ordnance Survey Map of Mayo, six inch scale
- www.libraryireland.com/topog- Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. Gives historical and statistcal descriptions of Ireland counties, cities, parishes, townlands, and villages.
- www.genuki.org.uk- Links to maps, gazetteers, etc.
- Google books: Parliamentary Gazetteer of Ireland
- Use Google, Bing or other search engines. E.g. “County Mayo parish map”
- www.familysearch.org- click Catalog > Keyword Search > Irish Militia records. Contains vasts amount of Irish Militia records on microfilm which can be ordered at films.familysearch.org.
- www.irishorigins.com- ($) Militia Attestation Index 1872-1915; Ireland Memorial records 1914-1918; The 1798 Rebellion: Claimants and Surrenders
- www.findmypast.ie- ($) Those who either fought in Irish rebellions or World War I.
- www.from-ireland.net- A very useful site. Am amazing number of records are available from all counties. Literally thousands of helpful links and other resources are also detailed. In addition, there are a lot of cultural, folklore, and other information available. A YAHOO! mailing list can be subscribed to and you will have at your fingertips help from the many knowledgeable people on the list.
- Eddies Extracts- This site contains many Birth, Marriage and Death notices extracted from various early newspapers such as the Belfast Evening Telegraph, The Witness, Banner of Ulster, Northern Whig and Belfast News-Letter. It also has extracts from the Registers of Deceased Seamen and lists the details of over 25,000 Presbyterians who served in the Great War.
- www.stirnet.com- (unfettered access requires fee or significant data contribution; manually search index for surnames of interest)
- www.diaspora.ie- Aspiration, enterprise, adventure, and the Irish around the world.
- Petty Sessions Order Books: 1851-1912: This is the lowest court in the whole country. These records were scanned by FamilySearch and are being put online through FindMyPast.ie. There is no charge to look at the index but there is a charge to view the actual record.
- FHLfavorites.info- To view a fairly extensive list of websites for Ireland at the national, county and parish or local levels, you can now view all of the Family History Library's Patron Desktop "Favorites" online.
- www.irelandxo.com- A new website for Irish research is available. It is a free site and is building.
- www.infowanted.bc.edu- Boston newspaper with information for relatives to track their Irish family members who had immigrated earlier, particulary during the famine period.
- newspaperarchive.com- Thousands of U.S. newspapers online spanning hundreds of years. Over 120 milllion newspaper pages. May give information on Irish ancestors in America.
- www.genealogybank.com- Over 6,400 U.S. newspapers now online spanning over 320 years. May give information on Irish ancestors in America.
Old age pensions
- www.ireland-genealogy.com- Database is for Northern Ireland. Applicants for pensions used information from the 1841 and 1851 Ireland Censuses before they were destroyed. May name parents and siblings.
- www.familysearch.org- Republic of Ireland. Microfilm records of the Census Search forms used to gather personal and family information from the 1841 and 1851 Ireland censuses before they were destroyed. May name parents and siblings.
Records of the Poor
- Workhouses in Ireland- Gives information regarding the Irish poor and the workhouse life
- www.workhouses.org.uk- Information on Ireland Poor Law Unions
- Waterford County Museum- Gives information on the famine in Dungarvan and the poor.
- The Workhouse Orphans- Information from the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland.
- www.vindicator.ca- A local history group's findings on workhouse famine records
Great websites for information regarding Irish family history and links to genealogical records.
- www.nationalarchives.ie- National Archives of Irelan; holdings of Census and other records
- www.proni.gov.uk- Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
- www.nil.ie- National Library of Ireland; holdings of the Catholic Church Records for the Republic of Ireland
- www.ireland.anglican.org- Representative Church Body Library
- www.presbyterianhistoryireland.com- Presbyterian church records
- www.groireland.ie- General Register's Office for the Republic of Ireland
- www.nidirect.gov.uk- General Register's Office for Northern Ireland
- www.proni.gov.uk- Free indexes and wills for the three District Probate Registries of Armagh, Belfast, and Londonderry. Indexes: 1858-1919; part of 1921; 1922-1943. Images of wills: 1858-1900
- www.proni.gov.uk- Free online indexes to pre-1858 wills; also includes a collection of diocesan will and administration bond indexes.
- www.origins.net- ($) Index of Irish Wills, 1484-1858; Dublin Wills and Grant Book, 1270-1858; Phillimore & Thrift Index to Irish Wills, 1536-1858; Sir Arthur Vicar's Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland, 1536-1810.
- www.ancestry.com- ($) Indexes to Irish Wills, 1536-1857 (five volumes); Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland, 1536-1810; A Guide to Copies and Abstracts of Irish Wills.
- www.findmypast.com- Index of Irish Wills, 1484-1858.
- www.nationalarchives.ie- Online Will calendars, 1922-1982 and Instructions for searching the online will calendars; Information on wills and testamentary records held in The National Archives of Ireland.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More