Italy, Waldensian Evangelical Church Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Italy, Waldensian Evangelical Church Records .
|This Historical Records Collection article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the wiki article guidelines to assist you in editing.
Title in the Language of the Records
| This section is incomplete.
You can help by adding a translation of the title in the language of the records.
Collection Time Period
This collection of Waldensian Church records covers the years 1632-1969.
This collection includes church records (such as baptisms, marriages, and burials) of the Waldensian Evangelical Church (Chiesa Evangelica Valdese). These records have been digitally captured at the Archivio Tavola Valdese in Torre Pellice, Torino, Italy. Most of the records in this collection are written in French; some are written in Italian.
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
The record examples below are from this collection need English translations. Please help us by placing a translation of the record example on the talk page.
The key genealogical facts found in most baptism records include the following:
- Place of baptism
- Name of the child
- Date of birth
- Date of baptism
- Parents’ names
- Godparents’ names
The key genealogical facts found in most marriage records include the following:
- Place of marriage
- Groom’s and bride’s names
- Parents’ names on both sides
- Witnesses’ names
The key genealogical facts found in most burial records include the following:
- Place of death
- Name of the deceased
- Age of the deceased
- Parents’ names
- Place of burial
How to Use the Record
Begin your search by finding your ancestors in the census index. Use the locator information in the index (such as page number or family number) to locate your ancestors in the census. Some on-line indexes, such as indexes to FamilySearch Historical Records, will take you directly to an image. Compare the information in the census to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination. Be aware that as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
When you have located your ancestor in the census, carefully evaluate each piece of information about them. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors.
- Use the age listed to determine an approximate birth date. This date along with the place of birth can help you find a birth record. Birth records often list biographical and marital details about the parents and close relatives other than the immediate family.
- Use the race information to find records related to that ethnicity such as records of the Freedman’s Bureau or Indian censuses.
- If they are subject to military service they may have military files in the State or National Archives.
The Waldensian Evangelical Church is an Italian Protestant denomination that goes back to the Middle Ages. For centuries since its creation, members of the church were harshly persecuted until about 1848, when they were granted legal freedom to worship. Since then, the church has developed and spread through Italy and other countries.
Why the Record Was Created
Each parish kept a record of events such as baptism, marriage, and death in the life of their members.
These church records are reliable and an important source for family history.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
- Chiesa Evangelica Valdese (English)
- Finding Ancestors in the Waldensian Valleys (Roots Web)
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the data and images published on FamilySearch.org Historical Records. It may include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- “Italy Waldensian Evangelical Church Records,” database, FamilySearch; from Archivio Storico della Tavola Valdese. “Italy, WaldensianEvangelical Church records.” Archivio Storico Tavola Valdese di Torre Pellice, Italy. FHL digital folders. Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA.
Information about creating source citations for FamilySearch Historical Collections is listed in the wiki article Help:How to Create Source Citations For FamilySearch Historical Records Collections.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.
Citation Examples for Record Found in FamilySearch Historical Collection
|This citation example isn't from this collection. You can help by replacing this example with a citation for a record found in this collection.|
The following are examples of records found in other collections. Please help us by replacing these examples with a citation for a record you have found in this collection.
- “Delaware Marriage Records,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 4 March 2011), entry for William Anderson and Elizabeth Baynard Henry, married 23 November 1913; citing marriage certificate no. 859; FHL microfilm 2,025,063; Delaware Bureau of Archives and Records Management, Dover.
- “El Salvador Civil Registration,” index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org: accessed 21 March 2011), entry for Jose Maria Antonio del Carmen, born 9 April 1880; citing La Libertad, San Juan Opico, Nacimientos 1879-1893, image 50; Ministerio Archivo Civil de la Alcaldia Municipal de San Salvador.
When the citation has been replaced with a citation specific to the collection described, please change the heading to "Citation Example for Records Found in This Collection".
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback