Jasper County, Missouri Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
m (added Link, removed stub template)
|Line 46:||Line 46:|
==== Neighboring Counties ====
==== Neighboring Counties ====
[[Barton County, Missouri|Barton ]]
[[Cherokee County, Kansas|Cherokee County, Kansas]]
[[Crawford County, Kansas|Crawford County, Kansas]]
[[Dade County, Missouri|Dade]]
[[Lawrence County, Missouri|Lawrence]]
[[Newton County, Missouri|Newton]]
== Resources ==
== Resources ==
Revision as of 16:42, 24 March 2014
Guide to Jasper County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jasper County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 29, 1841|
|Address|| Jasper County Courthouse|
302 S Main Street
Carthage, MO 64836-1696
Jasper County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1900
and death records 1883-1891;Recorder Deeds
has marriage and land records; Probate Judge
has probate and court records
HistoryWilliam Jasper (c1750-1779).
See an interactive map of Jasper County border changes at N2Genealogy.
An EF5 tornado struck the southern part of the city in May 2011, it is possible some record loss did occur as some locations where records may have been kept or stored were hit by the twister.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on Missouri Place Names, 1928-1945 for all Missouri Counties.
- All of the family biographies from The History of Jasper County, Missouri (1883) published by Mills & Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Forest Park Cemetery, Joplin BillionGraves. May contain some interments of those killed by the tornado in 2011.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Jasper County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
The biographical record of Jasper County, Missouri (1901) by Hon. Malcolm G. McGregor is available online free from Google Books. This book has biographical sketches of county residents. A name index is provided on page 5 of the book.
Biographies from The History of Jasper County, Missouri (1883) published by Mills & Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website
- Family Maps of Jasper County, Missouri Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Jasper County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Jasper County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Historic maps of Jasper County, Missouri 1861 to 1904, free access on My Genealogy Hound.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Jasper County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jasper County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin newspapers and Neosho newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Jasper County communities.
- Joplin Globe Newspaper
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1816-1864 - Jasper County Birth Index 1816, 1828-1832, 1851-1864. Batch C515261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1841-1874 - Jasper County Marriage Books A thru D Index 1841-1874. Batch M515261 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1881 - Jasper County Marriage Books E thru G Index 1873-1881. Batch M515262 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Jasper County Marriage Books H and I Index 1881-1885. Batch M515263 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Joplin Public Library
300 South Main Street
Joplin, MO 64801-2384
Phone: (417) 623-7953
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Joplin Missouri Family History Center 2107 S Indiana Ave, Joplin, MO 64804 United States Location Map
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jasper County Web Site
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jasper County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "William Jasper," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August 2012)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.