Jefferson County, Indiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson County Indiana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Indiana|
Location of Indiana in the U.S.
|Founded||November 23, 1810|
|Address|| Jefferson County Courthouse|
300 E Main St #203
Madison, IN 47250
Jefferson County, Indiana Courthouse Damaged by Fire (20 May 2009) (multiple sources)
Flames destroyed parts of the 154-year-old Jefferson County Courthouse today. The Indiana state fire marshal has completed a preliminary investigation, but has not yet issued a report.
Decades of history may have been lost as flames ripped through the courthouse. The third floor partially collapsed and the basement sustained significant water damage.
Local preservation experts have retrieved deeds and some other vital documents. Many of them will have to be frozen before they can be restored. However, there are some that were irreparably damaged in the fire.
The fire came as crews were finishing restoration work on the courthouse for the city's bicentennial celebration. County officials said exterior work was nearly complete. A video is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQRXvKP4Oc4 or click on the image below.
- Cemeteries for Jefferson - Linkpendium
For tips on accessing Jefferson County, Indiana Genealogy census records online, see: Indiana Census.
- Index to Defective, Dependent & Delinquent Census for Jefferson County ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Early Settlers of Jefferson County ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
- Jefferson County, Indiana: Census Records and Indexes - Linkpendium
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository.
United Church of Christ
- 1837-1935 - St. John's United Church of Christ, Madison, Baptism Index 1837-1935 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch C725141.
- 1837-1935 - St. John's United Church of Christ, Madison, Marriage Index 1837-1935 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch M725141.
- 1837-1935 - St. John's United Church of Christ, Madison, Marriage Index 1837-1935 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free. Batch B001677.
- Directory of Businesses in Jefferson County (1858) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic and Religious Groups
- Biographical and Historical Souvenir for the Counties of Clark, Crawford, Harrison, Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott and Washington, Indiana. (Evansville, Ind: Unigraphic, 1972.) FHL US/CAN Film 934899 Item 4 FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE
- History of Jefferson County - Linkpendium
Land and Property
- Maps and Gazetteers - Linkpendium
- African American Veterans in Jefferson County, Indiana (1890) ($, Indiana Genealogical Society)
Civil War service men from Jefferson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jefferson County.
- 1st Regiment, Indiana Heavy Artillery, Company L
- 3rd Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company E
- 6th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, K, E, and Reorganized Company A, E, F, and K
- 7th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company M
- 8th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company H
- 10th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry, Company H
- 12th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company C
- 13th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D, and Reorganized Companies B, C, D, and E
- 20th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Reorganized Companies D, and F
- 51st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company B
- 82nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies A, B, C, G, and K
- 91st Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company I
- 93rd Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Companies C, and E
- 128th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company A
- 132nd Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company D
- 137th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Companies B, F, and I
- 139th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company K
- 149th Regiment, Indiana Infantry, Company D
- 28th US Colored Troops, Company E, and Addition Recruits for Colored Troop
Civil War books and articles
- Robertson, Middleton, "Recollections of Morgan's Raid", (Indiana Magazine of History 28, no. 2 (June 1932): 116-137.) 1863, Jefferson County (Deputy) Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
- Garber, Michael C., Jr., "Reminiscences of the Burning of Columbia, South Carolina" ,( Indiana Magazine of History 11, no. 4 (December 1915): 285-300.) 1865, Jefferson County (Madison) Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Death, E-Publication, Instiution, Military, Misc Historical, Naturalization Records can be searched by person name (accessed 26 May 2011)
- Indiana Marriages, 1802-1892 - Ancestry.con $
- Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992 - FamilySearch
- Indiana Marriage, 1811-1959 - FamilySearch
- Indiana, Death Index, 1882-1920 - FamilySearch
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jefferson County, Indiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/8/8d/Igiindianah.pdf.