Jefferson County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Jefferson County, Courthouse
307 Main St; PO Box 145;
Fayette, MS 39069
Clerk Chancery Court has marriage records from 1798,
Court records from 1860, probate and land records ;from 1798. 
HistoryJefferson County was named Pickering until 1802.
1799--Jefferson County was created 2 April 1799 from the Natchez District.
County seat: Fayette 
1904--Some records were lost.
For tips on accessing Jefferson County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Civil War service men from Jefferson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jefferson County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company K - Abbay’s Battery
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company H - Whitney’s Company
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Charlie Clark Rifles [also listed as Co. H]
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson County, Mississippi page 380, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More