Jefferson County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This West Virginia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Jefferson County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|County Seat||Charles Town|
West Virginia county in the Shenandoah Valley region.
P O Box 208
Charles Town, WV 25414
- County Clerk has birth, death from 1853
- Military records from 1918 (except Civil War years)
- Marriage, Probate and Land Records 1801
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Office of Tourism
See an interactive map of Jefferson County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
- Good, Rebecca H. and Rebecca A. Ebert. Finding Your People in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Bowie, Md.: Heritage Books, 1998. 4th ed. FHL Book 975 D27e 1998
- Heinegg, Paul. "Jefferson County Personal Property Tax List, 1802-1820," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
For tips on accessing Jefferson County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Jefferson County families include:
- O'Dell, Cecil. Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia. Marceline, Mo.: Walsworth Pub. Co., 1995. FHL Collection. One of the most impressively researched one-place studies in the United States. In a review, Dorman stated "Comprehensive studies such as this appear only rarely. This volume should be in every Virginia genealogical collection."
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at Ancestry ($); Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- [Hefflebower] Rohrbach, Lewis Bunker. Hoffelbauer Genealogy, 1585-1993, The American Families Hefelbower, Heffelbower, Heflebower, Hefflebower, Heflybower, Hefflibauer, Heflibauer and Heffelbauer Together with Their German and Austrian Ancestry. Camden, Me.: Picton Press, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 H675rL.
- [Hieronymus] Gentry, Veronica J. Descendants of Conrad Hironimus (Heironimus) Whose Will Was Probated in Frederick Co., Virginia in 1816. MSS., available at FHL.
- [Hieronymus] Chenault, Louise Ryan, John P. Hieronymus, Dorothy Hieronymus, and George P. Unseld. The Hieronymus Story. Salt Lake City, Utah, 1959.
- [Hieronymus] Hieronymus Family in America. The Hieronymus Story, 1985. Baltimore, Maryland: Gateway Press, 1985. Available at FHL.
- [Sinclair] Hall, Newman Arnold. "Allerton of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 32, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1988):83-92; Vol. 32, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1988):171-178; Vol. 32, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1988):287-296; Vol. 33, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1989):13-18; Vol. 33, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1989):94-102; Vol. 33, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1989):175-180. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 32 (1988)-v. 33 (1989).
- Cartmell, T. K. Shenandoah Valley Pioneers and Their Descendants: A History of Frederick County, Virginia (Illustrated) from Its Formation in 1738 to 1908, Compiled Mainly from Original Records of Old Frederick County, Now Hampshire, Berkeley, Shenandoah, Jefferson, Hardy, Clarke, Warren, Morgan and Frederick. n.p.: n.p., c1909. Available at FHL US/CAN Book 975.59 H2c 1963; FHL US/CAN Film 1000634 Item 1; digital version at Ancestry ($); BYU Family History Archives and World Vital Records ($). [3 copies at FHL.]
- Norris, J. E.. History of the Lower Shenandoah Valley Counties of Frederick, Berkeley, Jefferson and Clarke: Their Early Settlement and Progress to the Present Time, Geological Features, a Description of Their Historic and Interesting Localities, Cities, Towns and Villages, Portraits of Some of the Prominent Men, and Biographies of Many of the Representative Citizens. Chicago: A. Warner, 1890. Original edition available at FHL; 1972 reprint available at FHL; digital version of original edition at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital versions at U.S. Census Bureau and Google Books et. al. 1967 reprint: FHL Book 973 X2pc 1840. [See Virginia, Western District, Jefferson County on page 134.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Book 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Virginia section begins on page 238.]
War of 1812
Jefferson County men served in the 55th Regiment.
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Jefferson County Civil War Page
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
- Cutten, George Barton. The Silversmiths of Virginia (Together with Watchmakers and Jewelers) from 1694 to 1850. Richmond, Va.: The Dietz Press, Incorporated, 1952. FHL Collection. [Includes sections on Charles Town, Harper's Ferry, and Shepherdstown silversmiths.]
Jefferson County, West Virginia Will Books 1832-1970
West Virginia Will Books
- [1802-1820] Heinegg, Paul. "Jefferson County Personal Property Tax List, 1802-1820," Free African Americans.com. [Heinegg abstracted free blacks listed in these records.]
-  Ward, Roger D. 1815 Directory of Virginia Landowners (and Gazetteer). 6 vols. Athens, Georgia: Iberian Pub. Co., 1997-2000. Available at FHL. [The source for this publication is the 1815 land tax. Jefferson County is included in Vol. 6.]
Societies and Libraries
Jefferson County Historical Society
P.O. Box 485
Charles Town, WV 25414
Family History Centers
- Jefferson County Historic Landmarks Commission
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Bible Records
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Museum
- Jefferson County Wikimedia Commons
- Just Jefferson
- Black History Preservation Jefferson County, West Virginia
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Black History Preservation Society
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Bible Records
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Biographies
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Web Sites
- Jefferson County, West virginia enotes
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Researchers Surnames
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Jefferson County, West Virginia Wikipedia
- National Register of Historic Places
- Bridges Jefferson County, West Virginia
- History and Genealogy Jefferson County, WV
Learning How toEdit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ John Frederick Dorman, "Review of Pioneers of Old Frederick County, Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):236.
- ↑ Stuart Lee Butler, A Guide to Virginia Militia Units in the War of 1812 (Athens, Ga.: Iberian Pub. Co., 1988), 114. FHL Book 975.5 M2bs.