Jewish Genealogy ResearchEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 20:14, 5 February 2011 by DiltsGD
Did you know?
- Columbus took Jews with him in hopes they could translate Oriental languages.
- Jewish births are sometimes listed in local church records.
- Emma Lazarus, daughter of Sephardic Jews, wrote the famous poem inscribed on the Statue of Liberty, "give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses..."
- Jews are the oldest group with their national identity and cultural heritage intact.
- Celebrities with Jewish mothers: Geraldo Rivera, Fiorello Laguardia, Winston Churchill, Cary Grant, David Bowie, Robert DeNiro, Harrison Ford.
Key Internet Links
- International Association of Jewish Genealogical Societies over 75 groups
- Sephardim.com for Sephardic / Jewish genealogy research
- Yad Vashem - Holocaust Museum and database
- Synagogue Scribes offers a unique and fully searchable database of London Ashkenazi Synagogue records, with the emphasis on pre UK civil registration, which began on 1st July 1837.
- JewishGen databases and tools to help those with Jewish ancestry find family members
- Federation of East European Family History Societies fosters research there
- American Jewish Historical Society access to books, photographs, and artifacts
- Cemetery Scribes recording tombstone inscriptions in the UK
- Ancestry.com Jewish Family History Collection
- CJH.org Center for Jewish History provides collections and background information.
- EllisIsland.org - The Ellis Island Foundation provides passenger lists for over 20 million immigrants.
- How Do I Start? Simple steps to begin your family history.
- Finding Jewish Records New! In-depth guide to tracing Jewish ancestors from the U.S. to Europe between 1850 to 1930. Follow the steps to identify a birthplace or place of origin.
- Jewish Genealogy Research Outline Revised as of Aug 2008! Helpful guide to records and research strategies focusing on Jewish family history.
- State Research Guides Individual guides to finding records and indexes in each U.S. state.
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
- ↑ Joseph Aaron, "Fun Jewish Facts" in Jewish News Online at http://www.chicagojewishnews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338 (accessed 15 August 2009).