Johnson County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Johnson County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Johnson County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1843|
Johnson County Kentucky Courthouse
Kentucky Court of Justice, Johnson County has contact information for the Circuit Court Clerk.
Kentucky: State Board of Elections has contact information on all Kentucky County Court Clerks. Scroll down the page to find desired county or use the index at top of page.
Johnson County Kentucky History
Johnson County Kentucky Places/Localities
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family Histories, Gedcom Files, Genealogies etc.
cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Johnson County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Johnson Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Johnson County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Johnson County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Access Genealogy, Johnson County, Kentucky
- Cemetery Listings
- Johnson County Kentucky Historical & Genealogical Society Cemetery Website
- Johnson county Ky cemeteries and Associated Records
- Paintsville Lake Project...Cemetery Relocation
|U.S. Census Bureau|
For tips on accessing Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Johnson county, Kentucky at Wikipedia
Johnson County Kentucky Military Information
Johnson County War Memorials
Kentucky in the Revolutionary War. (includes list of soldiers from Johnson County, Kentucky)
Korean War Vets of Johnson county
List of Pensioners, Kentucky Johnson
Records of World War I Veterans
Vietnam War Casualties at Johnson county Genealogy Trails
World War II Johnson Co. Memorial
The Big Sandy News online
The Big Sandy News has bureaus in two area counties
P.O. Box 766
Louisa, KY 41230
FAX (606) 638-9949
338 Second Street
FAX (606) 788-9952
The Paintsville Herald
P. O. Box 1547
978 Broadway Plaza
Paintsville, KY 41240
Direct: (606) 789-5315
Toll Free: 1-888-788-5315
Fax: (606) 789-9717
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Johnson County Kentucky Historical Genealogical Society Obituary Website
- Johnson County, Kentucky Obituary Collection Free from GenealogyBuff.com.
- 1844-1975 - Will Books A to F (1844-1975) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Johnson County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517551 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Johnson County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517552 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1878 - Johnson County Birth Index 1878. Batch C517554 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517551 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517553 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Johnson County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517554 at FamilySearch - free.
Johnson County, Kentucky Births 1911-1920
Johnson County, Kentucky Births 1921-1930
Johnson County, Kentucky Marriage Records
Marriage Liscense of Johnson County, Kentucky From 1843-1859
Search results for Johnson County on Kentucky Death Records at Rootsweb
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Johnson County Historical & Genealogical Society
444 Main Street
PO Box 788
Paintsville, KY 41240
Johnson County Public Library
444 Main Street
Paintsville, KY 41240
Family History Centers
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Family History Library Catalog
- Johnson County Ky Index
- KYGenWeb-Johnson County page
- Johnson County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Johnson County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Johnson County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Kentucky County Population Estimates Retrieved on 2010-11-2
- ↑ U.S. Census Bureau Retrieved on 2010-2-27
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More