Jones County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
1837--Jones County was created 21 December 1837 from Dubuque County. It was attached to Jackson County prior to organization 1 June 1839. County seat: Anamosa 
1875 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Riverside Cemetery, Anamosa BillionGraves
- Ross & Elizabeth Baty Public Library Archives, Jones County has the Monticello Express (1865-2004) available online.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Jones County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News