Jones County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Jones County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
1862--Courthouse was burned during Civil War battle, many court records destroyed.
Chadwick, Combs Fort, Comfort, Debruhls Landing, Hargetts Crossroads, Jones Corner, Maysville, Oak Grove, Olivers, Olivers Crossroads, Perfection, Phillips Crossroads, Pleasant Hill, Pollocks, Pollocksville, Ravenswood, Sassers Mill, Shady Grove, Simmons Corner, Taylors Corner, Tenmile Fork, Trenton, Wise Forks
- Freedman Bank Records -- individuals from Jones County
- Book: Jones County Cemeteries: Jones County, North Carolina. Compiled by the Heritage Genealogical Society, 2005. – 3 volume set. View the Volume 1 index.
- Cemeteries, Jones County, North Carolina (links and resources, Jones County GenWeb)
- Cemeteries, Jones County, North Carolina (transcriptions, US GenWeb Archives)
- Find-A-Grave - Jones County Cemeteries
- 1790 U.S. Census, Jones County, North Carolina (transcription, US GenWeb)
- 1810 U.S. Census, Jones County, North Carolina (images, US GenWeb Archives)
- 1850 U.S. Census, Jones County, North Carolina (surname index only, US GenWeb Archives)
- Census records - Jones County, NCGenWeb
- Jones County Church Records (US GenWeb Archives)
- Tuckahoe Baptist Church Records, 1865-1873 (Jones County GenWeb)
- Pleasant Hill Christian Church Records, 1858-1896 (Jones County GenWeb)
- North Carolina Business Directories -- directories provide information on area residents. Open the directory and navigate to the county of interest.
- Jones County students at NC colleges - via the NCGenWeb Yearbook Index
- Aiken, Nancy, Minutes of the Jones County, North Carolina Court of Common Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 1826-1841, Heritage Books, 2002. (Google Books link without preview)
- Gwynn, Zae Hargett, Abstracts of the Records of Jones County, North Carolina, 1779-1868, Vol. 1, self-published, 1963. (Google Books link without preview)
- Maps - Jones County, NCGenWeb
- Jones County newspapers (List from the Library of Congress of newspapers that have been published in the county. Provides details on libraries that hold back issues.)
- Jones County, North Carolina Obituaries (Newspaper Obituaries)
- Jones County Post (current paper, part of the Kinston Free Press)
- Jones County Tax Lists - via NCGenWeb Archives
Uncertified copies of birth, marriage and death certificates can be ordered for 25 cents each from the Jones County Register of Deeds. See their website for more information.
- North Carolina Births and Christenings, 1866-1964 - search this name index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state ; via FamilySearch
- Jones County Marriage Records (GenWed)
- North Carolina Marriages, 1762-1979 (FamilySearch; images included)
- North Carolina Death Certificates, 1906-1930 - via FamilySearch; images included
- North Carolina Deaths & Burials, 1898-1994 - via FamilySearch
- Jones County Wills and Estates (US GenWeb Archives)
Societies and Libraries
- Heritage Genealogical Society
- Neuse Regional Library, Kinston, North Carolina ("serving Lenoir, Greene & Jones Counties")
- County History (Jones County Economic Development Commission)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jones County Genealogy (North Carolina Genealogy)
- Jones County Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Jones County, NC (RootsWeb)
- Jones County, NC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Jones County, NCGenWeb (free genealogy resources; part of the USGenWeb Project)
- Jones County, North Carolina (Wikipedia)
- Jones County, North Carolina Genealogy Trails
- Jones County, North Carolina History, Records, Facts, Genealogy and Ancestry (Family History 101)
- Jones County, North Carolina Register of Deeds
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More