Kemback, Fife, Scotland GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This is a guide to the history and major genealogical records of Scotland as they pertain to the parish of Kemback. To learn more about how to use these records to search for your ancestors, go to the Scotland: Research Strategies.
KEMBACK, a parish, in the district of St. Andrew's, county of Fife, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Cupar; containing the village of Blebo-Craigs. This place is supposed to derive its name from the rivulet called the Kem, or Kam, which rises in the hills of the parish of Scoonie, and, flowing through this parish, falls into the river Eden. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Eden. The church, erected in 1814, is a neat plain building.
The New Statistical Account of Scotland (pub. 1834-45) offers uniquely rich and detailed parish reports for the whole of Scotland, covering a vast range of topics including history, agriculture, education, trades, religion and social customs. The reports, written by the parish ministers, are available online at edina.($) Click on ‘Browse scanned pages’ then search the parish reports for Kembeck. Also available at the Family History Library.
A census is a count and description of the population, taken by the government, arranged by locality and by household. Read more about census records.
Here is a list of the Family History Library microfilm numbers for the census records of Kemback as well as the library numbers for any surname indexes available:
|Year||FHL Film Number||Surname Index|
|1841||1042702||book 941.33 X22s; films 1145982-3; CD-ROM no. 1075|
|1861||0103829||CD-ROM no. 2524|
|1881||0203523||6086574 (set of 8 fiche)|
The 1901 census of Scotland is indexed on scotlandspeople.($) To use it, you must register and pay a small access fee. All available censuses, 1841-1901, are indexed on this website. It may be easier for you to pay to use the website rather than access indexes through the library.
The Established Church of Scotland was Presbyterian. Read more about church records.
Here are the pre-1855 records that exist for this parish.
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
|Recore Type||Years Covered||FHL Film Number|
|Births:||1648–1677, 1700–1704, 1732–1854||1040112 items 4-5|
|Marriages:||1648–1677, 1700–1703, 1783–1854||1040112 items 4-5|
|Deaths:||1700–1703, 1736–1738, 1750–1854||1040112 items 4-5|
Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index available on computers at the Family History Library and family history centers. Some of these records may be indexed and searchable on familysearch.org.
Births: Births are intermixed with marriages until December 1697. There are no entries March 1684–March 1685. The records for 1698–1710 appear to be for the united parishes of Inverkeithing and Rosyth. There are no entries January 1711–April 1725, December 1734–May 1737, except one, November 1738–July 1744.
Marriages: There is a separate record from April 1698. There are no entries December 1710–December 1748.
Deaths: There are burials until 1708 and no entries April 1708–January 1710. There are deaths until December 1710 then no entries until November 1783, after which date, burials are recorded.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. FHL Brit book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
The Kirk session was the court of the parish. The session was made up of the minister and the land owners and business men of the parish, chosen to serve on the session. The Kirk session dealt with moral issues, minor criminal cases, matters of the poor and education, matters of discipline, and the general concerns of the parish. Kirk session records may also mention births, marriages, and deaths.
Here is a list of the surviving Kirk session records for this parish:
Minutes 1657–1665, 1677–1835, 1845–1847
Parochial Board Minutes 1845–1875
Note: Available at St. Andrews University Library, St. Andrews, Fife, Scotland, record CH2/204.
Nonconformist Church Records
A nonconformist church is any church that is not the Established church. Read more about nonconformity in Scotland in the article on the Scotland Church Records Union Lists.
There are no known pre-1855 nonconformist congregations or records for this parish.
Civil Registration Records
Government or civil registration of births, marriages, and deaths (also called statutory records) began on January 1, 1855 in Scotland. Each parish has a registrar's office and large cities have several. The records are created by the registrars and copies are sent to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. Annual indexes are then created for the records for the whole country.
See the article on Scotland Civil Registration for more information and to access the records.
Kemback was under the probate jurisdiction of the Commissary Court of St. Andrews until 1823, and since then has been under the Sheriff's Court of Fife at Cupar. Probate records for 1513-1901 are indexed online at scotlandspeople.($) You must register on the website but use of the index to probate records, called 'Wills & Testaments,' is free. You may then purchase a copy of the document or, if the document is before 1823, it will be on microfilm at the Family History Library. To find the microfilm numbers, search in thelibrary catalog for the 'Place' of Fife and the subject of 'Probate records.' Then click on the link to the records of the Commissariat of Fife.
The library also has some post-1823 probate records for Fife. Look in the library catalog for the 'Place' of Fife and the subjects of 'Probate Records' and 'Probate Records - Indexes.'
Read more about Scotland Probate Records.
[Return to the Fife parish list.]