KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about a state of the United States. For other uses, see Kentucky (disambiguation).
United States Kentucky
|News and Events|
|*Kentucky Volunteer Moderator is Linnielou.|
Welcome to Kentucky, Bluegrass State
Kentucky was a "state-land" state, meaning the state government appropriated all land within its borders. Land was surveyed in odd-sized lots in much of the state, but west of the Tennessee River it was surveyed in townships. Several types of land grants were issued in Kentucky. Warrants authorizing surveys of the desired land were issued to persons qualified to receive grants for military service (military warrants) or cash payments (treasury warrants). Read more about the subject of land and property records in the Kentucky Land and Property article.
The following databases are available online at the Kentucky Land Office website:
- Virginia Patent Series & Old Kentucky Patent Series.
- Revolutionary War Warrants database.
- West of Tennessee River Military Patents database
- Certificates of Settlement and Preemption Warrants database.
- Virginia Treasury Warrants Register,
- Lincoln Entries database.
- County Court Order Patents database.
- Jackson Purchase database.
- West of Tennessee River Non-Military Patents Database.
- Help Needed! Please add county resource links to county pages.
- Kentucky State Archives, Frankfort
- Filson Library, Louisville
- Martin F. Schmidt Research Library, Frankfort
- National Archives Southeast Region (Atlanta)
- Allen County Public Library (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System or Kentucky Atlas and Gazeteer.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Kentucky GenWeb Project has a wealth of information and is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Kentucky Online Resources offers Internet links to help with Kentucky research problems.
- Kentucky Pioneers
Help us make this a better research tool!
Things you can do.
Below list some of the many tasks you can help with:
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback