Kentucky Bible RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Bibles were often given to a bride as a wedding gift, and families recorded information about the immediate family and close relatives in them. Bible records can include birth, marriage, and death dates; parents’ and children’s names; and spouses’ names, including maiden names. Relationships are seldom stated. The age of a person may be given at the time of death. Many families kept Bible records, although some Bibles did not survive. Some Bibles may have been donated to local libraries or societies. Genealogy wiki page. Some additional Kentucky Bible transcriptions are found at the national DAR Library in Washington, DC, and on microfilm at the Family History Library. These are partially indexed in:
- E. Kay Kirkham. An Index to Some of the Family Records of the Southern States: 35,000 Microfilm References from the N.S.D.A.R. Files and Elsewhere. Logan, Utah: Everton Publishers, 1979. Free online digital copyFHL fiche 6089183; book 973 D22kk vol.1 This surname index lists the state and the Family History Library film number where these Bible records can be found.
Some DAR transcriptions have been indexed and published in:
- Daughters of the American Revolution (Kentucky). Records Research Committee. Kentucky Bible Records from the Files of the Genealogical Records Committee, Kentucky Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. 6 vols. Lexington, KY: KSDAR, 1962–1981. FHL book 976.9 D2da Each volume is indexed.
Copies, or abstracts of old family Bibles that are no longer known to exist, may survive in Revolutionary War Pension application files at NARA, Washington, D.C., which are available online at three commercial websites: Ancestry, Footnote, and Heritage Quest Online.
The above sources and additional transcriptions of Bible records are listed in thePlace Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
KENTUCKY- BIBLE RECORDS
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY]- BIBLE RECORDS
- Kentucky Bible Archives on KYGenWeb
- Additional Kentucky Bibles on KYGenWeb
- Kentucky Bible Records on Kentucky Genealogy.org
- Kentucky Bible Records on Kentucky Pioneers.com: Contains an index list of Bible records in their collection. You must be a Kentucky Pioneers member to see the contents of the Bible record.
- If you are looking for Bible records in a specific county use your favorite search engine and enter the county name and the words "Bible records"
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More