Kerr County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Kerr County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 26, 1856|
Kerr County Courthouse
700 Main Street
Kerrville, TX 78028-5323
County Clerk has birth and death recrods from 1903,
marriage, probate, land and court records from 1856;
District Clerk has divorce records
Kerr County has had five courthouses and two county seats. When Kerr County was formed in 1856, the town of Brownsborough changed its name to Kerrville and became the county seat. The first Kerr County Courthouse was built in Kerrville in 1856. In 1860 the county seat moved to the town of Comfort where a new courthouse was built in 1861. In 1862, Comfort became a part of the newly formed Kendall County, the county seat was returned to Kerrville, where it has remained. Courthouses were built in Kerrville in 1876, 1886, and in 1926, which is the current courthouse. 
Kerr County; 700 Main St; Kerrville, TX 78028-5323; Ph. 830.792.2255 Details: (Co Clk has b & d rec from 1903, m, pro, land & ct rec from 1856; Dis Clk has div rec)
1862 -- Eastern portion of Kerr County, including the town of Comfort, became part of the newly formed Kendall County.
Places / Localities
Center Point | Hunt | Ingram | Kerrville | Mountain Home
- Texas African American Griots ~ USGenWeb
- AfriGeneas ~ African Ancestored Genealogy
- Texas African American Genealogy ~ Access Genealogy
- Kerr County Cemeteries ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Kerr County Cemetery Master Index ~ TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Texas Escapes Listing of Texas cemeteries with transcriptions and lots of pictures.
- 1900 Federal Census ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1910 Federal Census ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1920 Federal Census ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1930 Federal Census ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1956, by Bob Bennett, (rev. by Clara Watkins Kerr County, Texas, 1856–1976, Hill Country Preservation Society, 1975).
- Kerr County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
- Kerr Photos, Stories and More ~ TXGenWeb
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Confederate Pension Applications Index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Confederate Indigent Families Index ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1890 Union Soldiers Schedule ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Korean War Casualties ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Kerr County Obituaries
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890–1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850-1930
Societies and Libraries
Butt-Holdsworth Memorial Library
505 Water St
Kerrville, TX 78028
Phone: (830) 257-8422
Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- USGenWeb Texas Archives Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ TexasEscapes.com : Kerr County Courthouse http://www.texasescapes.com/TOWNS/Kerrville/Kerr-County-Courthouse-Kerrville-Texas.htm
- ↑ HistoricTexas.net: Kerr County http://www3.historictexas.net/kerr-county-texas
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback