Kimpton, HertfordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Kimpton, is a village and a parish in Hitchin district, county of Hertford. The village is 2 1/4 miles E of the boundary with Bedfordshire, 3 miles N of Wheathampstead railway station, and 7½ (S by W) of Hitchin. There is a Wesleyan chapel. 
The established (Anglican) church is dedicated to St Peter and St Paul.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Certificates may be ordered from the Hertfordshire County Office.
Parish registers for Kimpton begin from 1559.
The registers to 1930 have been filmed and are available from Family History Centres.
Bishop's transcripts for Kimpton begin from 1604.
The Bishop's transcripts for Kimpton, 1604-1869 have been filmed and are available from Family History Centres.
findmypast Hertfordshire Record Collection
The subscription or pay-per-view commercial online publisher, findmypast.co.uk have digistised most parish records held by Hertfordshire County Council. Details at their website.
Wesleyan Methodists have been meeting in Kimpton since 1841. A small chapel was opened in 1845 which was completely rebuilt in 1870. Some records of the Kimpton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel are held by the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, Hertfordshire County Council. Their nonconformist registers and transcripts1/hals/famhist/nonconformist/ holdings are listed in a downloadable PDF file.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288832. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wikipedia article on Kimpton, Hertfordshire.
- GENUKI entry for Kimpton, Hertfordshire
- Kimpton Parish Council
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.