Kimpton, Hertfordshire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Kimpton, is a village and a parish in Hitchin district, county of Hertfordshire. The village is 2 1/4 miles E of the boundary with Bedfordshire, 3 miles N of Wheathampstead railway station, and 7½ (S by W) of Hitchin. There is a Wesleyan chapel. 
The name is derived from an Old English personal name, "Cȳma" and means a farmstead associated with a man called Cȳma. It appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as "Kamintone". There is a place in Hampshire with the same name.
- "The parish church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, situated on rising ground to the north of the village, is of early foundation; it has a square embattled tower at its western end, and its interior is embellished with a fine screen of oak: the benefice is a vicarage, in the presentation of Lord Dacre."
The civil parish of Kimpton contains the villages of Kimpton, Blackmore End and Peters Green.
Neighbouring Parishes are:
- Ayot St Lawrence
- King's Walden
- St Paul's Walden and
- Luton (Bedfordshire)
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Certificates may be ordered from the Hertfordshire County Office.
Parish registers for Kimpton begin from 1559.
The registers to 1930 have been filmed and are available from Family History Centres.
Bishop's transcripts for Kimpton begin from 1604.
The Bishop's transcripts for Kimpton, 1604-1869 have been filmed and are available from Family History Centres.
findmypast Hertfordshire Record Collection
The subscription or pay-per-view commercial online publisher, findmypast.co.uk have digistised most parish records held by Hertfordshire County Council. Details at their website.
Wesleyan Methodists have been meeting in Kimpton since 1841. A small chapel was opened in 1845 which was completely rebuilt in 1870. Some records of the Kimpton Wesleyan Methodist Chapel are held by the Hertfordshire Archives and Local Studies, Hertfordshire County Council. Their nonconformist registers and transcripts1/hals/famhist/nonconformist/ holdings are listed in a downloadable PDF file.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288832.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Wikipedia article on Kimpton, Hertfordshire.
- GENUKI entry for Kimpton, Hertfordshire
- Kimpton Parish Council
- ↑ "Kimpton" in John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (London and Edinburgh, 1870).
- ↑ "Kimpton" in A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of British Place Names (1st rev ed., Oxford University Press, 2011) eISBN: 9780191739446 accessed 31 May 2013.
- ↑ "Welwyn, Codicote, Kimpton" in Royal National and Commercial Directory and Topography of the Counties of Essex, Herts, Middlesex (Pigot and Co., London, September 1839), p 221.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.