Kingwood Texas Family History Center
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 35:||Line 35:|
==== Upcoming Events ====
==== Upcoming Events ====
==== Class Schedule ====
==== Class Schedule ====
Revision as of 16:54, 27 March 2012
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Kingwood Family History Center serves patrons in the Greater Houston Area of Texas. It is particularly convenient for those patrons living in the northeast part of Harris County or southern part of Montgomery County. This includes Kingwood, Humble, Atascocita, Porter, New Caney, and other nearby communities. The Kingwood Family History Center is a full service center. We look forward to your visit.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
4021 Deerbrook, Kingwood, Texas 77339 (mail not accepted at this address)
- Located at corner of Deerbrook Drive and Northpark Drive in Kingwood.
- From US 59, exit Northpark Drive, proceed through light at Woodland Hills Drive after entering Kingwood. Continue through light at Brookdale. Family History Center (Church) entrance is just past the strip shopping center after this light.
- From Lake Houston Parkway, turn left onto Northpark Drive (Kroger intersection). Take your second opportunity to turn left, this is Deerbrook Drive (no signal, but left turning lane). Turn into the church parking lot. The family history center is located in the middle of the building. The door faces Northpark Drive.
- Map link to: Kingwood Texas Family History Center
- Tuesday/ Wednesday/ Thursday Daytime Hours: 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM
- Tuesday/ Wesnesday Evening Hours: 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Holiday Schedule: Closed one week at Thanksgiving. Closed two weeks at Christmas
Calendar and Events
Family History Classes available upon request, email the center for more information.
Indexing help available upon request, email the center for more information.
- Family History Library Catalog: Kingwood Family History Center now particpates in online film ordering (effective August 24, 2011). Patrons may order films/fiche online from any computer with internet access using a personal credit card or Paypal account at www.familysearch.org/films/ We invite you to request your films be sent to the Kingwood Family History Center where they will be available for you to view during our regular hours.
- Permanent Collection: The Kingwood Family History Center's permanent collection includes over 1,400 rolls of microfilm, over 2,500 microfiche, and over 200 family history books. In addition, we have a full set of Pedigree Resource File CD's and other family history CD's for your use.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: Kingwood Family History Center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Computers: Kingwood Family History Center has five computers all with high speed internet available for patron use. In addition, the center is equipped with wireless internet access.
- Other Equipment: In addition, the Kingwood Family History Center has a Canon Digital Scanner/Reader/Printer which enables you to digitize an image from a microfilm or microfiche for printing or saving to your personal storage device. The center also has one standard microfiche reader, two standard microfilm readers, one high magnification microfilm reader, and a photocopy machine available for patron use.
Our Volunteer Staff is here to help you:
- Learn how to use the center's equipment and resources
- Learn how to gather, organize, and record information about your family
- Learn how to use the Family History Library Catalog and other FamilySearch services
- Learn how to use other online family history resources
- Learn how to process Ordinance Requests for LDS patrons
Other Resources in our Local Area:
- Clayton Genelogical Library. 5300 Caroline Street, Houston, Texas 77004. (832) 393-2600. http://www.houstonlibrary.com/ and www.claytonlibraryfriends.org/
- THAGS Library. Housed at Lone Star College, North Harris. 2700 W. W. Thorne Blvd., Houston, Texas 77073. 3rd Floor of Library.
Local Genealogical and Historical Societies:
- The Humble Area Genealogical Society (THAGS). www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~txthags/
- The Kingwood Atascocita Genealogical Society. http://www.atascocita-kingwoodgenealogicalsociety.org/
- Other Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint Websites:
Volunteer at the Center
Looking for more time to spend on your own family history as well as the opportunity to share what you know in assisting others? Join our volunteer staff! We have 8 shifts each week. They are:
Tuesdays from 9-11:30 AM; 11:30-2:30 PM, and 7-9 PM. Wednesdays from 9-11:30 AM; 11:30-2:30 PM, and 7-9 PM. Thursdays from 9-11:30 AM; 11:30-2:20 PM. Email the center if you are interested.
Adding details to a FHC page article.