Knotty Ash St John the Evangelist, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - "== Reference<br>" to "== References")
Line 62: Line 62:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
== Reference<br> ==
+
== References ==
  
 
{{Reflist}}
 
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 17:18, 1 May 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

St John the Evangelist, Knotty Ash .jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Knotty Ash St John the Evangelist was created a chapelry in 1836 from, and lying within the boundaries of Walton on the Hill St Mary, Lancashire ancient parish. The foundation stone of the Church was laid on June 26th, 1834, the following inscription being engraved on a brass plate, which was laid in the plinth stone:

“On the 26th day of June Anno Domini, 1834, this Foundation Stone was laid by Adam Dugdale Esq. of Dovecot House, on land given by him for the erection of this church for the service of the Church of England; it is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, and was built by donations and subscriptions.”

The church was consecrated 18 February 1836.

Knotty Ash is a small area on the eastern fringe of Liverpool and neighbouring districts include West Derby, Old Swan, Broadgreen and Dovecot.

It derived its name from a gnarled ash tree, and was made famous in the United Kingdom by stand-up comedian and local resident Ken Dodd and his Diddy Men concept. In 2004, Mr Dodd planted a new ash tree close to the site of the original (outside the Knotty Ash pub). According to the 1969 BBC children's television programme Ken Dodd And The Diddymen, the fictitious Diddyland, boasting the highest sunshine rate in the world, was situated in the centre of Knotty Ash.

The modern parish team ministry is within the deanery of Huyton of the Diocese of Liverpool which was formed from the historical Diocese of Chester.

KNOTTY-ASH, an ecclesiastical district chapel',in the district chapelry of West Derby,parish of Walton-on-the-Hill, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 4 miles east of Liverpool. The church, dedicated to St. John'the Evangelist, was built in 1836.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

References

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 708-710.&nbsp;Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.