Knox County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Kentucky-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Knox County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1799|
Knox County's civil records start the following years:
*Many years between 1852 and 1911 are missing
Knox County Courthouse
401 Court Square
Barbourville, Ky. 40906
|Asbury||Erose||Middleton Station (hist.)||Swan Lake|
|Barbourville||Flat Lick||Mockingbird Branch||Swanpond|
|Bimble||Girdler||Old Flat Lick||Trosper|
|Brush Creek (hist.)||Hammond||Providence||Warren|
|Corbin||Henry Woodson Station (hist.)||Samuel Slaughter Station (hist.)||Wilton|
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Knox Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Knox County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Marion County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Knox County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
-  Stephens, Mrs. Bruce. "Knox County, Kentucky Tax List, 1800," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Spring 1985):56-57. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 4 (1985).
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Knox County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 528 Barbourville, KY 40906
Records for the Knox County Historical Society are located at the Knox County Library, 206 Knox Street, Barbourville, KY, 40906 Phone: (606) 546-5339
Other records are available at the Weeks-Townsend Library, Union College, 310 College Street, Barbourville, KY, 40906. Phone: (606) 546-1240
- Knox County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Knox County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ "Henry Knox," Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Knox.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).