LDS Patriarchal BlessingsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
A patriarchal blessing is a blessing given to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by an ordained patriarch and usually provides genealogical information. The top of the printed copy of the blessing often gives the person’s complete name, birth date, birthplace, and parents’ names. When looking for a patriarchal blessing, always check for women under their maiden and married names. Some early Saints had more than one blessing.
The Family History Library Catalog has the following indexes to patriarchal blessings:
- Index to patriarchal blessings : volumes 1 to 40 on file [at the] Historian's Office, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Salt Lake City, Utah : Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Historical Department, 1934. Available in United States & Canada Large Q Book and microfilm format.
The Church History Library serves as the custodians of the Patriarchal Blessing records. The following instructions were copied from their site 24 April 2014 regarding obtaining copies:
"To obtain copies of patriarchal blessings for yourself or a deceased direct-line ancestor, you will need the following information:
- Your Church membership record number. (If you do not have it, please see your ward membership clerk.)
- Blessing recipient's name at the time the blessing was given.
- Names of blessing recipient's parents.
- Birth date of blessing recipient.
- Approximate year the blessing was given.
- Your relationship to recipient.
- Your mailing address.
You may request copies of blessings in three ways:
In Person—Please bring a valid photo ID when you come to the library.
Through the Postal Service—Mail your request to the address below.
Church History Library
Attn: Patriarchal Blessings
15 East North Temple Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-1600
Online—Click on the appropriate link to request a copy of your own blessing or request a copy of an ancestor's blessing. You will need an LDS Account or LDS membership number to login.
In order to efficiently process requests in a timely manner, we ask that you only request four blessings per month for deceased ancestors. Requests for blessings for the deceased take longer and will be processed in the order received. All email and letter requests will be returned through postal mail.
For information call: 1-801-240-2452
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News