La Grande Oregon Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Family History Center article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family History Center is open to the public. This building was erected in 1901. It has been a recreation hall, a cannery, used for potatoe storage & a Bishop's storehouse. It is now a Family History Center.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 2504 North Fir Avenue, La Grande, Oregon
- There are steps to the front door & handicap access at the back entrance with a doorbell.
- (Link to map using Google or other map sites)
Open Hours: Mon 9am-12 noon, Tue 9am-3pm, Wed 6pm-9pm, Thur 9am-6pm, Fri 9am-12 noon
Holiday Schedule: Closed New Years, Memorial day, 4th of July, 24th of July, Labor day, Thanksgiving & Christmas.
Calendar and Events
Class Schedule: Public classes 2nd and 4th Thursday 6pm- 7pm
Staff Training Meetings: First Monday noon
Center Resources ~ 10 computers on line, books, films, film copier, microfiche, maps, classrooms, cemetery records, copy machines, Oregon Death index & Land records
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- We have Oregon Death Indexes on fiche; 1971 - 1990.
- We have Oregon census on film; 1850-1920.
- We have Union County Marriage Records; 1865 - 1975.
- We have Oregon land records;1865-1971, deeds; 1864-1933, some mining deeds; 1864 & water rights; 1891-1969.
- The observer, a La Grande paper is also available on film from 1897-1972.
- Books covering Union, Wallowa and Baker county histories.
- Notebooks of local obituaries; 1985- current.
- Over 1200 books and magazines for use in genealogical research.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. (Note to FHC: Not all FHCs have access to this portal. If you do not, you will want to remove this entire bullet. If you do have access to it, just remove this text in italics.)
Hardware and Equipment
- 10 computers on line
- 4 printers
- 4 film readers '
- 1 copy machine
- 2 scanners
Staff Research Specialties
German Research - Jo Zaugg
Native American Research - Jeri Sawyer
Norway Research & language - Linda Strand
Resources in the Local Area
Eastern Oregon University ~ Library~ 541-962-3579
1410 L Avenue
La Grande, Oregon
Union County Courthouse ~ 541-963- 1006
1001 4th Street
La Grande, Oregon
Union County Historical Society
City of La Grande, Oregon http://www.cityoflagrande.org/muraProjects/muraLAG/lagcity
Eastern Oregon University http://www.eou.edu/'
Union County Historical Society http://www.oregongenealogy.com/union/uchs.htm
Union County Courthouse http://www.oregongenealogy.com/union/county.htm
Volunteer at the Center
We are always looking for volunteers!
It helps if you have computer experience & experience in genealogy work.
We offer 6 classes of training &monthly trainings. Contact our director, Ellen Kohler 541-963-6865 for more information.