Laramie Wyoming Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Laramie Family History Center serves the city of Laramie and Albany County. Anyone interested in learning about their family is welcome. We encourage you to come see us. Please call or email with any questions not answered on this page.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
Address: 3311 Hayford Ave, Laramie, Wyoming, 82072
- Family history entrance - south side of the building, west door. (This is the side closest to the parking lot entrance with the steps to the building.) Handicapped entrance north side of building. Please call in advance if you need handicapped access.
- 307-755-5567 - Leave a message if calling at a time other than the center's open hours.
- Tuesdays: 6pm-9pm;
- Wednesdays: 6pm-9pm;
- Thursdays 1pm-4pm
- Closed Thanksgiving Day
- Closed the week between Christmas and New Years Day.
Calendar and Events
Classes scheduled as requested. Call for more information.
Staff Training Meetings:
Third Sunday of each month in most months. Please contact us if you'd like to be on the email list to receive reminders. Ask Pat which months are scheduled and add here.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center can show you how to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Wyoming Books: Various city and county histories; indexes; some Laramie city directories.
- Books on various families; several states in the US; and a few countries such as Canada.
- (Need to develop this a little more. What microfilms and microfiche do we have? Be a little more specific about books.)
Databases and Software
- Free access to subscription based Internet web sites, Including FamilySearch.org, Ancestry.com, Footnote, HeritageQuest, AmericanAncestors.org (formerly New England Historic Genealogical Society), World Vital Records, Godfrey Memorial Library and many other sites.
- List features of each site?
Hardware and Equipment
- Seven computers, three laptops; microfilm and microfiche readers, a projector and a printer.
Staff Research Specialties
- FamilySearch Features
- FamilySearch Family Tree
- How to do volunteer indexing for FamilySearch
Resources in the Local Area
- Albany County Public Library:
310 S 8th St.Laramie, WY 82070
The Albany County Public Library is home to the Wyoming Room with books about the history and past residents of Wyoming. Can someone go to these libraries and determine what types of resources are available? ie. books, public computers, other services.
- Albany Couny Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 6163
- American Heritage Center
University of Wroming
1000 East University Avenue
Laramie, Wyoming 82061
The American Heritage Center includes a manuscript collection about Wyoming and the American West, mining and more. They have a digital collection among which are many photos and documents as well as video and audio recordings.
- Training for Family Tree
- How to Write an Effective "Reason" Statement in the FamilySearch Family Tree
- How to Create Source Citations for the FamilySearch Family Tree
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Wyoming Family History Centers
- Albany County, Wyoming
- American Ancestors - Online Seminars
- Ancestral Quest - Tutorials
- Ancestry.com - Learning Center
- BYU Center for Family History and Genealogy
- FamilySearch - Learning Center
- FamilySearch - Wiki
- Granite Genealogy - Training
- LDS Church Family History Callings - Starting place for Ward Consultants and Priesthood Leaders.
- LDS Church - Youth and Family History Training
- Legacy Family Tree - Training
- Ohana Software - Family History Lessons
- RootsMagic Learning Center
Volunteer at the Center
Types of volunteers needed:
- A volunteer willing to be a Wiki Trainer
- Volunteers already familiar with some aspect of genealogical research, or willing to learn while researching their own families. Also, willing to volunteer periodically at the FamilySearch Center during open hours.
- Volunteers to assist with keeping the computers updated.
- Volunteers to index historical records (in your own home).
- Any volunteer with a skill he/she thinks would be helpful to the FamilySearch Center.
- This page was last modified on 8 October 2013, at 18:10.
- This page has been accessed 602 times.