Lathom St James, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(seo paragraph; internal link)
(13 intermediate revisions by 7 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
 
[[England]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire]] [[Image:Gotoarrow.png]] [[Lancashire Parishes]]  
  
[[Image:St_James_Church,_Westhead_Lancashire.JPG|thumb|right|Westhead St James]]
+
Guide to '''Lathom St James, Lancashire family history and genealogy:''' chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
 +
 
 +
[[Image:St James Church, Westhead Lancashire.JPG|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Chapelry History  ==
 
== Chapelry History  ==
  
Lathom St James was a district church&nbsp;created in 1851 from, and lying within the boundaries of&nbsp;[[Ormskirk, Lancashire]]&nbsp; ancient parish. Other places in the parish include: Newbrough, Westhead, and Newburgh. The church was later referred to as Westhead St James due to it's location.<br>
+
LATHOM (St James) was a '''district church''' created in 1851 from, and lying within the boundaries of [[Ormskirk, Lancashire]], hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles northeast by east of Ormskirk. A domestic chapel, in Lathom Park, was restored in 1810. It constituted the civil parishes of Burscough and Lathom, and apart from these two villages also included Newburgh. In 1931 the Lathom and Burscough Urban District was abolished under a County Review Order, and its area added to an enlarged Ormskirk Urban District.<ref>Lewis, Samuel A., ''[http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51095#s21 A Topographical Dictionary of England]'' (1848), pp. 30-33. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.</ref>
 
+
Lathom and Burscough was an urban district in the county of Lancashire from 1894 to 1931. It constituted the civil parishes of Burscough and Lathom, and apart from these two villages also included Newburgh.
+
 
+
Lathom Local Government District was formed in 1872 when the parish of Lathom adopted the Local Government Act 1858, and a local board was formed to govern the area. In February 1894 the parish of Burscough was added to the local board's area. The area of the local board was subsequently reconstituted as an urban district by the Local Government Act 1894 as Lathom and Burscough, and an elected urban district council replaced the local board.
+
 
+
In 1931 the Lathom and Burscough Urban District was abolished under a County Review Order, and its area added to an enlarged Ormskirk Urban District.
+
 
+
Westhead St James Church , Vicarage Lane, Westhead is in the Diocese of Liverpool (previously the diocese of Chester)&nbsp; Ormskirk deanery.<br><br>
+
 
+
"LATHOM, a township, in the parish and union of Ormskirk, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Ormskirk; containing 3262 inhabitants. This place was the seat of the Lathom family, of whom Robert de Lathom, in the reign of Edward I., received the grant of a weekly market and an annual fair, and whose baronial mansion of Lathom House, remarkable for its extent and magnificence, and formidable for its strength, afterwards became so conspicuous in history. The manor, in the reign of Henry IV., was conveyed by marriage with the daughter and heiress of Sir Thomas Lathom, to Sir John Stanley, ancestor of the earls of Derby, of whom Thomas, the first earl, entertained Henry VII. in his baronial castle here, at that time in its full splendour. This noble castle, which had eighteen towers, and was surrounded by a fosse eight yards in breadth, with a drawbridge defended by a lofty gateway tower, was twice besieged by the parliamentary forces during the reign of Charles I., of whose cause its owner was a resolute supporter. On the 28th of February, 1646, during the absence of the earl, it was besieged by General Fairfax with a force of 3000 men, but was heroically defended by the Countess of Derby, who, with her retinue of 300, in several destructive sallies killed 500 of the assailants, and maintained possession till, on the arrival of the royalist army under Prince Rupert, the enemy thought proper to retire. In the following year the castle was again besieged by General Egerton, at the head of 4000 parliamentarians, to whom, after a protracted and obstinate resistance, it was finally surrendered for want of ammunition; having been first plundered it was dismantled, and the fortifications were demolished. Upon the Restoration, Lathom House again became the residence of the Stanley family, and in 1730 was conveyed by marriage with Henrietta, daughter and heiress of William, Earl of Derby, to John, the third earl of Ashburnham, by whom it was sold. It was subsequently purchased by Sir Thomas Bootle, Knt., who restored and nearly rebuilt the ancient mansion, in a style commensurate to its former splendour, and by whose niece it was conveyed by marriage to Richard Wilbraham, Esq., father of Lord Skelmersdale, the present proprietor. The mansion is spacious, and contains numerous stately apartments; the north front extends 156 feet, and the offices are joined to it by colonnades, supported by Ionic pillars: the surrounding park is between three and four miles in circumference. A considerable part of the township is the property of Edward Stanley, Esq., the representative of a branch of the Derby family, for many generations seated at Cross Hall, a mansion taken down about the commencement of the present century; a small portion of it now forms a neat farmhouse with a modern stone front. In the vale towards Lathom House is New Park, in which, it is said, formerly stood a castle, called Horton Castle; its site is now marked by a rude building of stone. Blythe Hall, another seat of the Wilbraham family, is also in this township. The township comprises 7577a. 3r. 36p., of which 4383 acres are arable, 1286 meadow, 1894 pasture, and 229 woodland. A domestic chapel, in Lathom Park, was restored in 1810, at a cost of £1200: the living is a donative, in the gift of Lord Skelmersdale. The great tithes have been commuted for £1002. The free school at Newburgh, a hamlet in the township, was erected in 1714 by the Rev. Thomas Crane, who endowed it with an estate at Dalton, which, with subsequent benefactions, produces £52 per annum; it is conducted on the national plan. Here is a saline chalybeate spring."
+
 
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 30-33. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51095 Date accessed: 01 July 2010.
+
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 35: Line 25:
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
  
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection  
+
===== '''Online Records'''  =====
 +
 
 +
'''<u>Church of England</u>'''
 +
 
 +
Lathom chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of [[Ormskirk, Lancashire|Ormskirk]] to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:
 +
 
 +
{| width="305" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''AC''' = [http://search.ancestry.co.uk Ancestry.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FMP''' = [http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/sog/misc-series FindMyPast.co.uk (£)]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FREG''' = [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl FreeReg]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''FS ''' = [http://familysearch.org FamilySearch.org]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LBMD''' = [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk LancashireBMD.org.uk]
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffff" align="left" colspan="6" | '''LOPC''' = [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/indexp.html Lancashire Online Parish Clerk]
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
{| width="625" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" border="1" align="center"
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | '''LATHAM&nbsp;PARK&nbsp;CHAPEL&nbsp;Chapelry&nbsp;(1929) Indexes'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire '''1929-1957''']
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" align="center" colspan="6" | [[Ormskirk, Lancashire|'''ORMSKIRK ST PETER &amp;&nbsp;ST&nbsp;PAUL''']]''&nbsp;''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" |
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | <u>'''Baptisms'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | <u>'''Marriages'''</u>
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | <u>'''Burials'''</u>
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FS'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1557-1837]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://familysearch.org 1557-1836]'''&nbsp;
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LOPC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ormskirk/index.html 1557-1901]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ormskirk/index.html '''1557-1911'''&nbsp;]
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Ormskirk/index.html 1557-1906]'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''LBMD'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | None
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/ 1837-1955]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | None&nbsp;
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''AC'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1557-1626]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | '''[http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1557-1626]'''
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | '''[http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=5895 1557-1626]'''
 +
|-
 +
| bgcolor="#ffffcc" | '''FREG'''
 +
| bgcolor="#66ffcc" | '''[http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl 1557-1901]&nbsp;'''var. yrs
 +
| bgcolor="#ccffff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1557-1901'''] var. yrs
 +
| bgcolor="#ffccff" | [http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl '''1557-1901'''] var.yrs
 +
|}
 +
 
 +
<br>
 +
 
 +
For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Lathom and comprising the whole ancient parish of Ormskirk to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the [[Ormskirk, Lancashire|ORMSKIRK&nbsp;ST&nbsp;PETER]]&nbsp;PARISH page.
 +
 
 +
<br>heir collection  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
+
{{British Census|306902}}
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
<br>
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br>  ====
  
[[Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]
+
[[Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire]]  
  
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
 
==== Probate records<br>  ====
Line 60: Line 134:
 
== Web sites  ==
 
== Web sites  ==
  
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
+
{{expand section|any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.}}
  
<br>
+
== References  ==
  
 +
{{Reflist}} {{Lancashire}}
 +
<!-- Tidy found serious XHTML errors -->
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 20:09, 17 September 2013

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Guide to Lathom St James, Lancashire family history and genealogy: chapelry register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.

St James Church, Westhead Lancashire.JPG

Contents

Chapelry History

LATHOM (St James) was a district church created in 1851 from, and lying within the boundaries of Ormskirk, Lancashire, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 3¾ miles northeast by east of Ormskirk. A domestic chapel, in Lathom Park, was restored in 1810. It constituted the civil parishes of Burscough and Lathom, and apart from these two villages also included Newburgh. In 1931 the Lathom and Burscough Urban District was abolished under a County Review Order, and its area added to an enlarged Ormskirk Urban District.[1]

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Online Records

Church of England

Lathom chapelry's registers of christenings, marriages and burials, along with those of the ancient parish of Ormskirk to which it is attached, have been mostly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years:

AC = Ancestry.co.uk (£)
FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)
FREG = FreeReg
FS = FamilySearch.org
LBMD = LancashireBMD.org.uk
LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk


LATHAM PARK CHAPEL Chapelry (1929) Indexes
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS None None None
LOPC None None None
LBMD None 1929-1957 None
ORMSKIRK ST PETER & ST PAUL 
Baptisms Marriages Burials
FS 1557-1837 1557-1836  None
LOPC 1557-1901 1557-1911  1557-1906
LBMD None 1837-1955 None 
AC 1557-1626 1557-1626 1557-1626
FREG 1557-1901 var. yrs 1557-1901 var. yrs 1557-1901 var.yrs


For a full list of all those chapels surrounding Lathom and comprising the whole ancient parish of Ormskirk to which it was attached, be certain to see "Church Records" on the ORMSKIRK ST PETER PARISH page.


heir collection

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306902.



Poor Law Unions

Ormskirk Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 30-33. Adapted. Date accessed: 01 July 2010.