Lauder Church Records

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Added a new parish page)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<!--{12051835867610} -->Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland (#748)
+
<!--{12051852002810} -->Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland (#748)
 +
 
 +
== '''History''' ==
  
 
== '''Established Church—Old Parochial Registers''' ==
 
== '''Established Church—Old Parochial Registers''' ==
Line 42: Line 44:
  
 
'''Records—'''<br>Extent of records is unknown. <br><br>
 
'''Records—'''<br>Extent of records is unknown. <br><br>
 +
<!--{12051852002811} -->

Revision as of 21:40, 10 March 2008

Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland (#748)

Contents

History

Established Church—Old Parochial Registers

Years Covered FHL Film Number
Births: 1680–1820 1067901 item 5–6
1820–1854 1067902 item 1
Marriages: 1677–1796 1067901 item 5–6
1844–1854 1067902 item 1
Deaths: 1785–1794 1067901 item 5–6
1836–1855 1067902 item 1

Condition of Original Registers—
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library under “Databases on the Network.”
Births: No entries exist August 1688–January 1691, and the record is in poor condition 1691–1695. There is only one entry January 1695–October 1707; also March 1716–June 1720. Two pages of the record for 1725–1726 are damaged. Entries are frequently out of chronological order after 1800.
Marriages: There is only one entry for 1692, August 1688–April 1707 and March 1729–June 1733, and one entry, for 1743, November 1739–December 1782. The record terminates September 1796 and is not resumed until 1844.
Deaths: There are registers for October 1794–1836, and only one entry in 1809.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970. British Book 941 K23b.


Established Church—Kirk Session Records

Minutes 1677–1688, 1707–1708, 1719, 1733–1882
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/534.

Nonconformist Church Records


Lauder First Anti-burgher Secession Church

History—
This congregation originated in 1747 with members of the congregation of Stow who adhered to the General Associate, Anti-burgher Synod. They met for a time with a congregation in Earlston, but in 1751 they obtained supply of sermon from the Presbytery as a separate congregation with its seat in Oxton, in the parish of Channelkirk, four miles west of Lauder. By 1758 most of the congregation was from Lauder so they built a place of worship there. After the death of its minister in1824, this congregation united the following year with the second Secession congregation in Lauder. They used one church building for worship and the other for a school.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown. See below.


Lauder Second Burgher Secession Church

History—
In 1793, 14 male residents of the Lauder area received supply of sermon from the Associate, Burgher Presbytery of Selkirk. They built a church in 1795 and a second in 1841. After the resignation of its minister in 1824, this congregation united with the first congregation, and a new minister was ordained. In 1847, the congregation became United Presbyterian.
Membership: 1833, over 500, or a quarter of the population of the parish.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.

Records—
FHL Film Number
Session Minutes 1796–1811 1485176 item 1
List of Members 1796–1806 1485176 item 1
Congregational and Managers’ 1485176 item 2–5
Minutes 1803–1855


Lauder Relief Church - extinct

History—
This congregation originated with a small minority of the united Secession congregation who obtained supply of sermon from the Relief Presbytery of Kelso in June 1835 and built a place of worship the same year. They lost their minister in 1845 and rejoined the Secession congregation in June 1847. The church was sold in 1851.
Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.


Lauder Free Church

History—
At the Disruption, a Free Church congregation formed here under the Presbytery of Kelso and Lauder. The congregation included the parish of Channelkirk and the village of Blainslie, with occasional services held at Stow. The group built a church in 1843.
Membership: 1848, 240; 1900, 126.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572. More details are given in the source.

Records—
FHL Film Number
Baptisms 1844–1856 0304671 item 15
Minutes 1844–1878 1485176 item 6


Lauder Evangelical Union Church

History—
An Independent congregation was formed in Lauder in 1845 in association with the Evangelical Union. It was apparently short-lived.

Records—
Extent of records is unknown.