Lawrence County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lawrence County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lawrence County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1821|
|Adams||Elm Grove (hist.)||Kise (hist.)||Skaggs|
|Blaine||Fisher Town (hist.)||Lowmansville||Terryville|
|Brows Defeat (hist.)||Fullers||Mazie||Ulysses|
|Chapman||Glenwood||Overda||Webbs Mill (hist.)|
|Charley||Green Valley (hist.)||Patrick||Wilbur|
|Cherokee||Greenwood (hist.)||Peach Orchard||Yatesville|
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Biographies, Family History/Trees, GEDCOM files, etc
Cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Lawrence County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Lawrence Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Lawrence County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Lawrence County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Access Genealogy, Lawrence County, Kentucky Cemetery Records
- Cemeteries, Lawrence County, Kentucky
- Cemeteries of Lawrence County, Kentucky
- Linkpendium Cemeteries
- The Tombstone Transcription Project-Lawrence County Kentucky
For tips on accessing Lawrence County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
Local histories are available for Lawrence County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
Lawrence County Military Records
Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy Trails-Lawrence County, Kentucky Pensioners
Lawrence County, Kentucky Veterans
Lawrence County, Kentucky World War II Casualities, Army and Airforce
List of Revelutionary War Pensioners
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lawrence County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- 1821-1914 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1821-1914) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Lawrence County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Lawrence County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1860 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1852-1860. Batch C517601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517602 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lawrence County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517603 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1860 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1852-1860. Batch M517601 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517604 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517605 at FamilySearch - free.
GenealogyBuff.com: Miscellaneous Lawrence County, Kentucky Marriages 1822-1854
Lawrence County KY Archives: Death & Obituary Index Table
Lawrence County Kentucky Marriage Index
Lawrence County, Kentucky Transcribed Deaths...
Marriages and Announcement-Genealogy Trails, Lawrence County, Kentucky
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Lawrence County, KY Archives Project
- Lawrence County KYGenWeb
- Lawrence County, KY Genealogy Forum
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lawrence County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laurel County, Kentucky page 272, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.