Layton Utah Valley View Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Layton Utah Valley View family history center is one of two centers in Layton, Utah.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- 1589 E. Gentile Street, Layton, Utah 84040
- Enter on the west side. If the door is locked, ring the bell.
- (Link to map using  or other map sites)
Center Director: Dennis Carlson 801-690-2296
- Monday 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM and (1:00 PM to 5:00 PM is by appointment)
- Tuesday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Wednesday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Thursday 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM and (1:00 PM to 9:00 PM is by appointment)
- Friday groups can schedule an appointment
- Saturday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Sunday Open by appointment
Holiday Schedule: Closed Fridays, most holidays, and the week between Christmas and New Years.
Calendar and Events
Layton Utah Valley View - Family History Center Calendar
• Navigating Family Tree
o Tuesdays, February 4, 11, 18, 25 – 11:00 am and 6:30 pm and Thursday, February 13th – 11:00 am
• Photos and Stores in FamilySearch Tree
Learn how to scan photos and documents and add them to Family Tree.
o Tuesdays, February 4, 11,18,25 – 2:00 pm; Wednesdays, , February 12, 19, 26 – 600 pm; Thursday, February 20th – 11:00 am
• Family Tree, Beginning and Advanced
Learn to add, correct and delete information that will make your Family Tree more complete. Clean up your Family Tree by correcting relationships, merge possible duplicates, Search Records, and print Family Charts with and without LDS Ordinances.
o Wednesdays, February 5, 12, 19, 26 – 2:00 pm; Thursday, February 27th – 11:00 am
• Primary “Activity Days” and “Cub Scout” Discovery hour
Children love to learn about the world they live in as well as the family they belong to. We are providing activities and exercises that will provide some helpful ways to help teach your children all about their current and extended family. Children can also work on their Faith in God program requirements as well as Cub Scout Requirements.
o Tuesdays & Wednesdays (all month) – Call for Reservations (801-690-2296)
• Youth Discovery Nights
Schedule a Tuesday or Wednesday evening for your youth to become excited about family history. Choose one of the activities we offer to accomplish your purposes in family history or bring your own. Call for a description of the activities and to schedule your group: 801-690-2296. LDS accounts needed for each attendee. Groups of 20 or less, please. Also Youth Family Tree Classes, Indexing, Duty to God & Personal Progress Activities
• “Youth Conference Activities”
o Please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
• Boy Scout Workshop “Genealogy Merit Badge”
o Please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
• “Youth” Fast Track Training (Youth Family History Consultants)
o Saturday – February 22nd, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm
• Family History Consultant Training
o every 1st Wednesday February 5th 7:00pm & Saturday February 1st, 11:00 am
• New High Priests Group Leaders Orientation
Orientation for new Priesthood leaders on Family History work in the ward or stake.
o Every 3rd Wednesday February 19th 7:00 pm
• Family History Consultant In-service Training
Held every month on a variety of subjects related to the Family History Consultants role of helping members discover their families.
o every 3rd Thursday, February 20, 7:00 pm
• Priesthood and Relief Society Workshops & other Ward Groups
Specialized workshops planned by Priesthood and Auxliary leaders to fit the specific needs of their quorum or group. These can be taught by the staff at the Family History Center, the ward leaders or Ward Family History Consultants.
o Can be scheduled on any day of the week except Monday evening, please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
When you come to class: *Bring your thumb drive to class, and * Have an LDS account with username and password. If you have your own laptop computer you are invited to bring it to the classes.
Please contact Dennis Carlson @ 801-690-2296 to arrange a group visit. We recommend that you bring your laptops to use if a large group.
Staff Training Meetings
Staff training is the 3rd Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. Ward Family History Consultants are invited to attend.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
Extended Loan Microfilm and Microfiche
- International Genealogical Index (IGI)
- Microfiche Reference Collection, Part I and II (200 most used reference sources)
- Utah Census from 1850-1920 for Davis and nearby counties
- Pioneer Land Rosters
- Pioneer Ship Rosters
- Rhode Island Vital Records, Vol. 3-13
- Rhode Island Genealogical Register, Vol. 1-20
- 1880 US Census
- 1881 British Census
- British Isles Vital Records Index
- Freedman's Bank Records
- Mexico Vital Records Index
- Mormon Immigration Index
- Pedigree Resource File
- Scandinavia Vital Records Index
- Western Europe Vital Records Index
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press (American Civil War Collections)
- Ancestry.com (Library Edition)
- Arkiv Digital (Swedish Church Records)
- Find My Past (UK Records)
- Fold 3 (US Military Records)
- The Genealogist (UK Records)
- Heritage Quest Online (US Records)
- Historic Map Works Library Edition (US)
- Paper Trail (US Migration)
- World Vital Records
- 1851 British Isles Census
- Australian Vital Records Index
- US Cities Galore (lists city, county, and state)
- World Place Advisor
- Ancestral Quest
- Family Insight
- GenCharts (unique genealogy charts)
- Get My Ancestors
- PAF and PAF Companion
Hardware and Equipment
- 2 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
- 10 computers with Internet connection
- 3 printers (one with a scanner)
- Patrons may bring their personal computers for note taking or entering information into personal genealogical programs. Wireless Internet access is available.
- Patrons may bring memory sticks to download information or copies.
- Patrons may bring digital cameras for copying images from microfilm or microfiche.
- This center participates in online film ordering. You can order films on the FamilySearch Microfilm Ordering page.
Staff Research Specialties
American/British: John Burton (certified genealogist) on Saturdays
Scandinavian: Brent Sorenson on Tuesday afternoons
New programs: Rawlin Martin on Tuesday afternoons
FamilySearch programs: Candy Steinhorst on Wednesday evenings
Davis Health Department (birth and death certificates)
Davis County Library (Heritage Quest and World Vital Records availablae to library card holders)
Utah State Archives (vital, land, court records)
Utah State Burials (cemetery listings)
Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics (birth and death certificates)
Cyndi's List (categorized list of links to genealogy resources)
FreeBMD (British birth, marriage, and death records)
USGenWeb (links to free resources for every county and state)
Where to Write for Vital Records (in US)
Volunteer at the Center
Family History Center Staff
Staff is needed during the hours the center is open. Volunteers should be comfortable with computer use and enjoy working with people. A knowledge of basic family history research principles is helpful but training will be provided.
FamilySearch is making records available online as quickly as possible. Without an index, researchers would have to browse through the images, one at a time. Volunteers are needed to help index digitized images. Indexing can be done at home or at the center if the center is not busy. To find out more and get started, go to: indexing.familysearch.org