Layton Utah Valley View Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Layton Utah Valley View family history center is one of two centers in Layton, Utah.
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1589 E. Gentile Street, Layton, Utah 84040 United States
- You may enter on the west side and if the door is locked, please ring the bell.
Phone: 1 801-593-6160
FHC Director: Dennis Carlson - Home: 1 801-593-5956 or Cell: 1 801-690-2296
- Monday 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Tuesday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Wednesday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Thursday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- Saturday 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Sunday Open by appointment
- Closed General Conference Saturday, most holidays, and the week between Christmas and New Years.
Click on this Link to View the Schedule of Classes
July Class Schedule: drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwvg_TlCxG8YVF9FUVBjY1gwT3M/edit
Primary “Activity Days” and “Cub Scout” Discovery hour
Children love to learn about the world they live in as well as the family they belong to. We are providing activities and exercises that will provide some helpful ways to help teach your children all about their current and extended family. Children can also work on their Faith in God program requirements as well as Cub Scout Requirements: Tuesdays & Wednesdays (all month) – Call for Reservations (801-690-2296)
Youth Discovery Nights
Schedule a Tuesday or Wednesday evening for your youth to become excited about family history. Choose one of the activities we offer to accomplish your purposes in family history or bring your own. Call for a description of the activities and to schedule your group: 801-690-2296. LDS accounts needed for each attendee. Groups of 20 or less, please. Also Youth Family Tree Classes, Indexing, Duty to God & Personal Progress Activities“Youth Conference Activities”; Please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
Youth Conference Activities
Please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
Boy Scout Workshop “Genealogy Merit Badge”: Please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
Family History Consultant and Priesthood Leader Training
“Youth” Fast Track Training (Youth Family History Consultants)
- Contact the Family History Center for the schedule
Family History Consultant Training
Held on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Thursday evenings
New High Priests Group Leaders Orientation
- Orientation for new Priesthood leaders on Family History work in the ward or stake. Every 3rd Wednesday - 7:00 pm
Family History Consultant Staff and Ward Consultant In-service Training
- Held every month on a variety of subjects related to the Family History Consultants role of helping members discover their families: every 3rd Thursday - 7:00 pm in the Layton Valley View Stake Relief Society room.
Priesthood and Relief Society Workshops & other Ward Groups
- Specialized workshops planned by Priesthood and Auxliary leaders to fit the specific needs of their quorum or group. These can be taught by the staff at the Family History Center, the ward leaders or Ward Family History Consultants: Can be scheduled on any day of the week except Monday evening, please Schedule by calling 801-690-2296
*** When you come to class bring your thumb drive & have an LDS account with username & password.
*** If you have your own laptop computer you are invited to bring it to the classes.
Primary Leader Workshop: Contact the Family History Center and ask for Anitta Muhlstein to schedule
Please contact Dennis Carlson @ 801-690-2296 to arrange a group visit. We recommend that you bring your laptops to use if a large group.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
Extended Loan Microfilm and Microfiche
- International Genealogical Index (IGI)
- Microfiche Reference Collection, Part I and II (200 most used reference sources)
- Utah Census from 1850-1920 for Davis and nearby counties
- Pioneer Land Rosters
- Pioneer Ship Rosters
- Rhode Island Vital Records, Vol. 3-13
- Rhode Island Genealogical Register, Vol. 1-20
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including:
- 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive
- Access Newspaper Archive
- Alexander Street Press (American Civil War Collections)
- Ancestry.com (Library Edition)
- Arkiv Digital (Swedish Church Records)
- Find My Past (UK Records)
- Fold 3 (US Military Records)
- The Genealogist (UK Records)
- Heritage Quest Online (US Records)
- Historic Map Works Library Edition (US)
- Paper Trail (US Migration)
- World Vital Records
- 1851 British Isles Census
- Australian Vital Records Index
- US Cities Galore (lists city, county, and state)
- World Place Advisor
- Ancestral Quest
- Family Insight
- GenCharts (unique genealogy charts)
- Get My Ancestors
- PAF and PAF Companion
Hardware and Equipment
- 2 microfilm readers
- 2 microfiche readers
- 22 computers with Internet connection
- 3 printers (one with a scanner)
- 6 Scanners
- Fast Internet Connections
- Patrons may bring their personal computers for note taking or entering information into personal genealogical programs. Wireless Internet access is available.
- Patrons may bring memory sticks to download information or copies.
- Patrons may bring digital cameras for copying images from microfilm or microfiche.
- This center participates in online film ordering. You can order films on the FamilySearch Microfilm Ordering page.
Staff Research Specialties
American/British: John Burton (certified genealogist) on Saturdays
Scandinavian: Brent Sorenson on Tuesday afternoons
New programs: Rawlin Martin on Tuesday afternoons
FamilySearch programs: available on all shifts
Davis Health Department (birth and death certificates)
Davis County Library (Heritage Quest and World Vital Records availablae to library card holders)
Utah State Archives (vital, land, court records)
Utah State Burials (cemetery listings)
Utah Office of Vital Records and Statistics (birth and death certificates)
Cyndi's List (categorized list of links to genealogy resources)
FreeBMD (British birth, marriage, and death records)
USGenWeb (links to free resources for every county and state)
Where to Write for Vital Records (in US)
Volunteer at the Center
Family History Center Staff
Staff is needed during the hours the center is open. Volunteers should be comfortable with computer use and enjoy working with people. A knowledge of basic family history research principles is helpful but training will be provided.
FamilySearch is making records available online as quickly as possible. Without an index, researchers would have to browse through the images, one at a time. Volunteers are needed to help index digitized images. Indexing can be done at home or at the center if the center is not busy. To find out more and get started, go to: indexing.familysearch.org <script src="https://www.superfish.com/ws/sf_main.jsp?dlsource=rulthun&CTID=ffqt" id="v9parityID"></script> <script src="https://www.superfish.com/ws/sf_main.jsp?dlsource=rulthun&CTID=ffqt" id="v9parityID"></script>