Leake County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Leake County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Leake County Courthouse
Court Sq; PO Box 72;
Carthage, MS 39051
Clerk Chancery Court has marriage records,
divorce records from 1871,
court records, land records from 1833,
probate records from 1840 and military records from 1918. 
1833--Leake County was created 23 December 1833 from the Choctaw Cession.
County seat: Carthage 
For tips on accessing Leake County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- Family Maps of Leake County, Mississippi Genealogy (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Civil War service men from Leake County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Leake County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry Reserves
- Company E - Hall’s Company
- - 6th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company C - Quitman Southrons
- - Perrin's Battalion, Mississippi State Cavalry
- Company D - Perkins’ Company
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
- 1836-1918 - Leake County Marriage Books D-I and 2-8 Index 1836-1918 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Leake County, Mississippi page 380, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More