From FamilySearch Wiki
United States > Kentucky > Letcher County
1842--Letcher County was created 3 March 1842 from Perry and Harlan Counties. County seat: Whitesburg 
|| East Jenkins
|| Payne Gap
|| Kings Creek
| Carbon Glow
|| Tolliver Town
|| Milton (hist.)
|| Hubert (hist.)
| Defeated Creek
|| Neon Junction
|| Indian Bottom (hist.)
|| Oven Fork
|| Jackhorn (hist.)
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation. Local volunteers through Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Letcher Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).